Question about task managers and batterySupport

Last Updated:

1. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just want to ask a quick question to clarify something.

Theres obviously a question about the effectiveness of task managers, especially with regard to their possibly adverse effect on battery life.

I have a task manager installed, but dont have it set on any autokill function. I use it once in a while to kill an app that shouldnt be going, or one that I suspect is preventing my phone from going to standby.

Am I harming my battery life at all by having it running but not killing processes in most cases?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. criDikal

criDikal Well-Known Member

You do not need task killers. Here's a fairly good and clear explanation of why:

Why Automatic Task Killing is a Bad Idea | android.nextapp.com

3. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Agree with previous...don't do the task killer apps. I have read in several different places why it is a bad idea. Even HTC support said it wasn't a good idea and they made the phone.
    If you are concerned about battery life not making it through a day, then invest in a more powerful battery to last the day. Seidio is very reputable.

4. gbenj

Thanks for the responses, but thats not really my question...I understand and have read all of that before. What im saying is if I have the task manager installed and running, for the every-so-often occurrence that I need to kill a specific app manually, is that doing any harm to my battery life.

I DO NOT have it set to autokill and I DO NOT use the 'end all' or 'kill all' function with any regularity.

5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

download the app called system or system control

/thread

6. gbenj

I really didnt intend on starting a discussion on the effectiveness of task managers, just wondering if the people who are against using them cause they affect battery life negatively feel that having it run but not actually kill anything with regularity (only used for killing a renegade application here or there thats preventing the phone from going to standby) is going to be giving me worst battery life than if I didnt have it installed at all.

7. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

you're right, i didn't read closely enough. i'll delete my post. sorry.

8. gbenj

I dont mind, I just dont want people getting mad at me for starting 'yet another' does task killer do anything thread.

9. Hanneman1011

Hanneman1011 Well-Known Member

Ok to answer your question, Who know? I mean nobody really knows. I would say that is would not hurt it. You do not have it running all the time so It is now always running. That is a good thing.

10. criDikal

criDikal Well-Known Member

It depends on the particular one you're running and how it polls data.

I am in no way affiliated with SystemPanel but I have seen it's use and can say that even though it's actively monitoring and capturing historical data it DOES NOT affect battery life.

Your question is completely dependent on the task killer you're using.

11. gbenj

For me that would be ""process manager lite" ProcessManager Lite - Android app on AppBrain

anyone have any experience, good or bad with that one? I like the widget alot

Edit: also gonna give systempanel a try, see how I like that

12. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

good to see after 12 hours you finally are coming to your senses now

13. gbenj

Why dont you search for "system control" in the market and see what you come up with...

sure, "System" comes up with the paid app, along with a couple hundred others, so forgive me if I couldnt tell which app you were talking about with your not so helpful response.

next time if you're going to interject please do it without the ambiguity, thanks