Question about the anatomy of a OTG cable

1. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

After a little research I've come to the conclusion that the part of the OTG cable that allows it to work is in the micro connector. Is that accurate?

If so, can I assume that the cable behind the connector is laid out like a conventional USB cable?

My objective is to cut an OTG cable in half and splice the micro connecter side to the cable of a standard keyboard, eliminating the need for the adapter.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The jumped pins 4&5 in the cable's mircoUSB connector forces a phone/tablet with OTG ability in the USB host mode.

Harry
  4. AlkiDweller

I saw that, which is one of the things that prompted my question.

I already have a couple of OTG adapter cables and plenty of keyboards laying around. I just want to eliminate the adapter part and end up with a standard keyboard with a micro USB plug.

It looks like the part that makes it an OTG cable is in the micro plug so if I just connected red to red, blue to blue, green to green and black to black it should work. The jumper is already in the micro plug.

Or am I missing the obvious, which I usually do.
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Should work ... it's just this pin 4&5 jumper that made a microUSB cable to a microUSB OTG cable :)

Harry
  6. AlkiDweller

Cool!

But I can see what's going to happen. I'll get the outer insulation off the wires and be staring at 8 different colors. :eek:
  7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

For this cases :eek: .... there are ohmmeters :D

Harry