1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

question about the android "Music" app

Last Updated:

1. rhettoric

rhettoric Member This Topic's Starter

hi all

i have a quick question for you guys

i recently got my first smart phone, the htc evo, and i've been loving it

i unmounted the sd card the other day by accident then remounted it.

when i did, a playlist that has taken me the last two weeks to make disappeared. as luck would have it though it reappeared today for some reason.

i would like to make a copy of it to save on my pc in case it decides to disappear again, but i can't seem to find the file.

i made the playlist using the "Music" app that came with the phone. it's about 250 songs out of the 4.5 gigs i put on sd card.

does anyone know what folder to find it in?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

I'm afraid it is kept in some weird location that you cannot get to on the phone if I remember correctly. What you might be able to do is back up the playlist. Titanium backup I believe does this and their may be others but I also wish there were actual physical playlist files that could be created and/or backed up from any of the Android music programs.

FYI, you can create your own .pls files on a PC and transfer them to the SD card and the phone will see those.

3. rhettoric

that would just make a backup of the entire sd card correct? there's no way to get to just the playlist if i'm understanding you correctly. which means i can't share it either :(

4. rhettoric

here's something that's weird. i created a new m3u file on my pc and transfered it to my EVO. it show's up under the playlist menu so i started adding a couple songs to it for a test. then i transfered the m3u file back to my pc, but it doesn't pull up any of the songs i added to it on my phone. this is bullshit

5. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is definitely something I wish Android improved on, it's quite annoying the way it treats playlists. Really as a whole it lags wayyy behind Apple in the music area.

Anyway, Titanium you can choose to only backup playlists. There is a way to filter only playlists. I have no idea if it would transfer to another phone.

6. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Download either MixZing or Meridian and you can create and update playlists on the fly. I prefer Meridian because it sounds better and the free version has an id3 tag editor (MixZing has this only available in the paid version). Also, MixZing tends to create duplicate playlist entries. But MixZing allows you to dump an entire album or artist onto the playlist while Meridian requires you to add the songs one at a time (this may be a limitation in the free version, I am not sure). I have both installed so I can use the features I need, as the same playlists can be shared by both programs.

7. poppagai

poppagai Member

Its been nearly 3 months since the last post on this topic... has anyone figured it out? Specifically, rettoric, I have the same problem... editing the m3u playlist on android phone works fine in lets say Meridian player but when transferring that m3u back to the laptop all the changes made to the m3u are lost!

Basically... has anyone figured out how to make any kind of playlist on an android phone and then have that playlist show up correctly on a player on their laptop or desktop pc?

8. rarray

rarray New Member

I just add: I'm also interested in the answer to this problem :/