• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about the Spigen Slim Armor View cases

imbloom

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
Hello, I am going to buy a Note 3 in the upcoming week and I've decided between the Slim Armor View case and the Neo Hybrid case, both by Spigen.

I'd prefer having a flip case and the Slim Armor View case looks perfect, however I read that the current Kit Kat update ruined the S-View AutoWakeup feature from 3rd-party cases.

Is this still a problem or is there a simple workaround for this?

Thanks

I've never had much use for any flip case --- can never seem to get the cover out of the way, especially in the car. I have both the Slim Armor and the Neo Hybrid Spigen cases, and they're both perfect for my use. The Neo Hybrid looks a little more cool, but its sides are a little slicker than the Slim Armor's, and I have to make sure I grasp it tighter when picking it up. The Slim Armor has little feet on the bottom corners, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in stability. Either should work great.

And Welcome to the Group!

Upvote 0
I have the Neo Hybrid case and I love it. Had it for about 3 months now, I remove it at least once a day to swap batteries and it hasn't caused any issues with the case. It has actually made it a little easier to get it in and out. But when it's in the case, it feels secure, I do like the idea of having the front of the phone protected as well with the View flip case.

Upvote 0
Mine kinda works. After the KK update, the phone got really jerky and laggy. I did all the factory reset and stuff, no go. Returned the phone for a replacement, and it still does it. I've now rooted, and I'm going to see if a new ROM will fix the issue.

You're talking about using the Spigen S-View case?

Hmm, I read up that they fixed that issue, I don't know if a custom ROM is going to help. It will probably just perform the same. :(

Upvote 0
You're talking about using the Spigen S-View case?

Hmm, I read up that they fixed that issue, I don't know if a custom ROM is going to help. It will probably just perform the same. :(

Spigen S-View case. The open and close functions work, get the S-View Window and all, just makes everything REALLY lag. and thats right after factory reset, before any apps are installed (wanted to make sure it wasnt a rogue app).
I love the case, so im not giving up hope, just keep trying.

Will

Upvote 0
Spigen S-View case. The open and close functions work, get the S-View Window and all, just makes everything REALLY lag. and thats right after factory reset, before any apps are installed (wanted to make sure it wasnt a rogue app).
I love the case, so im not giving up hope, just keep trying.

Will

I am still really confused about this because I totally know that Samsung sent a patch through to fix these issues.

Sorry that you are still having them, maybe send something to Samsung about it.

Upvote 0
maybe the lagging has to do with other items running all the time, in teh back ground to support S-view.

I don't know but I believe I'll find out soon.

I bought a Spiegen slim armour view case yesterday - should get it tomorrow. even if S-view sucks - which I have a feeling it will. I'll deactivate it and keep the case.

I mean he said he just factory reset the device. Who knows what could be running after that to cause this issue. If the device is bare bones and still lagging when using this case then obviously it's a preloaded application or something in the software.

Upvote 0
welp I can confirm.

Sorry I doubted you Will.

I too am on VZ - have a new note 3 (OK it's a week old).

as soon as I put the Slim Armour view on - lagged on ALL screen transitions, and movements with home screen. Some apps weren't too bad or noticable but my Jet Audio music play lagged too.

S View sucks

and yes I did everything short of a factor reset. no help. BUT everyting has to do with S View accessory options active - it is in the firmware of the phone.

so

took the case off and wondered - it's stretchy and deep enough to allow the phone to go in with the battery cover on (yes really it is) - and doing that covers those 2 pins that tell the phone it has the Sview case on.

block that - basic phone returns - case fits - works without Sview. it's a touch snug

no sview at all - no options - phone performance is exactly as it used to be.

hmmm.

sending back to get a UAG - S View sucks if you have a screen lock and don't want people picking up your phone and able to make or take calls - open your music (with an APP I don't want to use or ever use - thanks samsung

If you like SView - then this is the case to get. but if you like locked privacy and you don't use the samsung music app - Sview ain't for you

Upvote 0
Before the KK update, this case rocked. Now it's a rock. I even had the device replaced! I've sent a message to Spigen, and they tell me the latest patch should fix any issues. I'm on the latest official update, and it still doesn't work.
Are the Samsung S view covers working? Is this only with VZW?

The actual S view covers from Samsung work. It seems to be an issue with the 3rd party ones like Spigen that are having issues.

And I don't know if asking Spigen to patch their device will help, it still might be Samsung's doing.

Upvote 0
The actual S view covers from Samsung work. It seems to be an issue with the 3rd party ones like Spigen that are having issues.

And I don't know if asking Spigen to patch their device will help, it still might be Samsung's doing.

let me clarify my issues.

the case works as advertised. the view window works - touch through works etc. so the patch they describe - as best as I can see - allows the Sview feature to work.

however - every screen transition on the phone becomes laggy. every one.

amazingly once I deactivate S view (by covering phone back so the case pins don't make contact) the screen transitions sped up instantly.

so something about having S view features active makes the phone lag. and yes I'm on VZ with 4.4.2 also.

How that said - my main beef with the case - wasn't with the case but with the S view features. I'm fairly security conscience - the the way it works (or works over) the lock screen and other bits doesn't appeal to me.

if I was in mind of a Sview case - then the speigen was the one I wanted. but having tried it - Sview sucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones