Question about turning off sense UI.Support

Last Updated:

1. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When you turn off sense UI on the this phone, what kind of home screen

are you left with? (Since the phone does have 2.1)

Advertisement
  2. hth715

hth715 Well-Known Member

You can't really turn off sense. Once it gets rooted i am sure you will be able to put the regular stock on if you wish.

3. bradley975

bradley975 Active Member

You can load other home screens however. I currently have Sweeter Home loaded and switch between them with ease. If you are not familiar with Sweeter home go to www.sweeterhome.net to see. This program is still in beta but can be downloaded from this site. WARNING: This program is programming intensive but when you get the hang of it, it is fun to use.

4. Mrdroid921

That's weird, I seen a video once of someone just force
    closing it or something like that, in the apps list. Maybe this
    is not something that can be done now..

5. Mrdroid921

So you can load the stock?.

If so, what does it look like?

6. bradley975

bradley975 Active Member

MR.
    Not sure about what stock you are talking about. I said that I loaded Sweeterhome and that it works. I also heard on a board that someone else loaded the newer Helix 2 3d launcher but I personally haven't tried it.

7. bradley975

bradley975 Active Member

MR

Just loaded Helix 2 from the market and it works like a charm also!

8. LancerzEvo

LancerzEvo Well-Known Member

9. Mrdroid921

I once seen a YouTube video, that this person turned

off sense UI on a htc phone with Android 1.6. When he

did this, it just went back to the stock 1.6 home screen.

So I I wondered if you turned sense UI off on 2.1, what would

the stock 2.1 screen look like (Again, if possible)

10. Mr. Spontaneous

Mr. Spontaneous Well-Known Member

You cannot turn off Sense on the Incredible (so far). The clear defaults trick works on the Desire, but not on the Inc.

However, if you were able to manage to disable Sense, you'd have the standard Android 2.1 home (a la the N1).

11. Mrdroid921

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

12. bradley975

bradley975 Active Member

You do not have to turn Sense Off. I currently have loaded Sweeter homes, HelixLauncher2, and HTC Sense loaded on my phone. When I press the home button it allows me the choice of which one I want loaded right now. I can switch between them with no problem. The only difference I have seen is that when you are not in the Sense UI all of the sense ui widgets will not show...This could be fixed when rooting is done.

13. Mr. Spontaneous

That's nice, however, you're disregarding the OPs actual question...

14. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

The Eris had the option, you could clear the default on sense and use the stock android home screens. With the incredible that is not an option. Like the other posts say, you can download home alternatives.

15. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

why get a phone with sense ui only to turn it off ? i really haven't seen a good answer to this. it's not a significant battery drain, doesn't impact to performance, nor does it get in the way. so...why turn it off?

16. redworm

redworm Active Member

yea i cannot wait to remove Sense how annoying it is!

17. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

I love sense, adds to the overall experience IMHO. Other than that, it would be just another vanilla Droid. I understand running sense has its drawbacks, but I feel the pros outweigh the cons.

18. Mr. Spontaneous

And that's why we have the phone - we love choice. A phone running sense uses more resources than one that doesn't. While this may not affect most, some people prefer more control over their device.

I didn't get the phone for Sense - I got it because it was a high powered Android device on Verizon's network with quality hardware. I'm not complaining, mind you, but I would like to disable it at some point to properly explore homescreen alternatives.

19. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

From what has been found so far, the HTC Incredible is the first Sense UI android device to entirely remove the vanilla android files.

All the other 2.1 sense devices, HTC Desire, HTC legend, can be reverted to default Android.

I think the reason the HTC Incredible is just as snappy, if not more so than the Nexus One, is because it appears that HTC went in and optimized the Sense UI files to replace the default android ones and in the process, actually slimmed down the CPU/GPU/RAM footprint.

To summarize, no, you can not "turn off" Sense UI.

But as other posters mentioned, you CAN run a home screen replacement app ON TOP of Sense.

20. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Many didn't buy it for the Sense UI, but for the hardware...

Exactly.

But as others have said, you cannot turn Sense off :( I just did the "Force Close" on Sense and now it doesn't have a home screen at all. When I hit the back button it scrolls through the three apps open (settings, phone, people).

When you hit the home key it shows "HTC" and reloads Sense

21. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

^ that's fair. i understand the desire to have more control over the os and its processes. this is an android phone after all, and once we have root we'll have more control over the phone.

but back to sense...i'd still like to understand how it hinders or handicaps the incredible. or why people would like to disable it. i also have a moto droid, and sense isn't so much different than stock android that it clouds the experience imo. as much as it's mentioned you can easily overlook most of the sense ui if you don't really look for it. (aside from friend stream which i don't use.) sense seems to be more of a value add than a draw back to me.

now if people are wanting to disable it 'just because', then i can understand that too. just trying to understand if there's some underlying reason other than wanting total control of the phone's os.

22. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

on the Incredible, for me, it's not an issue as the phone is very speedy. On the Droid Eris it was much much slower so disabling it (force closing) made a slight performance boost.

23. Mrdroid921

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It's not that I don't like Sense UI, because
    I have never really used it. I did try it on the Eris once, and as someone else
    said, it was kind of laggy. I just seen that video, and wondered if it was a option.

24. tsandroid

tsandroid Well-Known Member

I tried ahome when I first got my Eris, & as soon as I set ahome as default the phone process stopped. the only way to fix this is a factory reset. How do I use a home replacement without fc'ing the phone process?

25. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

I understand Sense cannot be "turned off", but I am curious if alternative home replacements can stop it from even starting. What I mean is, I have several home replacements. If I do a power off and power on, I'll get prompted to choose a home (Sense, ADW, LauncherPro, GDE, etc.). Let's say I choose LauncherPro. It loads up, etc.

Now the curious part is that if I press home again and this time choose Sense, I can actually see Sense starting up (get a little spinning in progress wheel and the icons and widgets start to populate, etc. So to me that suggests that Sense never actually gets loaded until it is selected.

Thoughts?