• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about WiFi

Yep. Just be sure that you do no contract, so you aren't forced into the data plan.

+1 If you buy the phone subsidized with a plan (meaning you get a discount on it), then you will be forced into a data plan.

If you buy it at FULL price and get a voice only data plan, they won't force you into a data plan and you can use data via WiFi Only.

Upvote 0
4c67d239.jpg
They will force a data plan on new 2 yr contract customers. They don't force a data plan on 2 yr contract phone upgrades. They say if you want data access you need to add it but it is not forced. Phone should work fine using WiFi and no data plan.

stuff

Upvote 0
This is exactly the route I am looking at. I want to get an android phone, but not use any data plan, just wifi for data, and for carrier service, only voice and text.

But in my case I will be new to T-Mobile, and will likely just find a good deal on a used device. It's fine by me to be a generation behind.

BurgDog - please let us know how your plan works out.

Upvote 0
stewartrr, you fell through the cracks. Period.

One, if you order online, you have to have a data package...period.

reqdata.jpg

Second, and this is due to the rep either being: green, an idiot or just desperate for the sale; stores cannot do any sort of matching from the t-mobile website. If someone wants to take advantage of an offer on t-mobiles website, they have to order it through the website.

While good on you for getting around it, you were the exception not the rule.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones