Question about WiFi

Last Updated:

1. phenom01

phenom01 Active Member This Topic's Starter

If a cell phone supports WiFi can i use it without having an internet/Data plan?

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. phenom01

phenom01 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So if i buy the Samsung Vibrant and choose a simple talk plan can i use the internet for free?

4. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Yep. Just be sure that you do no contract, so you aren't forced into the data plan.

5. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

+1 If you buy the phone subsidized with a plan (meaning you get a discount on it), then you will be forced into a data plan.

If you buy it at FULL price and get a voice only data plan, they won't force you into a data plan and you can use data via WiFi Only.

6. BurgDog

BurgDog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]They will force a data plan on new 2 yr contract customers. They don't force a data plan on 2 yr contract phone upgrades. They say if you want data access you need to add it but it is not forced. Phone should work fine using WiFi and no data plan.

[​IMG]

7. dlwiii

dlwiii New Member

This is exactly the route I am looking at. I want to get an android phone, but not use any data plan, just wifi for data, and for carrier service, only voice and text.

But in my case I will be new to T-Mobile, and will likely just find a good deal on a used device. It's fine by me to be a generation behind.

BurgDog - please let us know how your plan works out.

8. stewartrr

stewartrr New Member

We just switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. Got 2 MT3G's for free with NO DATA from the store (2 year contract), since we were offered the same on the T-Mobile website. Salesman had to use a data plan enabled sim to activate the phone then swap out the data plan sim for a not-data plan sim. It works just fine!!!

9. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

stewartrr, you fell through the cracks. Period.

One, if you order online, you have to have a data package...period.

[​IMG]

Second, and this is due to the rep either being: green, an idiot or just desperate for the sale; stores cannot do any sort of matching from the t-mobile website. If someone wants to take advantage of an offer on t-mobiles website, they have to order it through the website.

While good on you for getting around it, you were the exception not the rule.