• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question - Android without data plan

syoun10

Lurker
Jan 30, 2012
Total newbie - so please excuse.

I'm considering a plan with very limited data. When my data is used up for the month (or if I'm an area with no dataplan coverage) will the phone still work on voice? How about contacts and calender? Is the data for them in the phone (& therefore still accessable) or are they in the cloud and therefore not accessable)?

It will definitely work on voice, but to answer the question asked in the title, no carrier will activate voice without data that I know of. That's not what you asked in the post body, but I thought I'd put that out there.

Your contacts and calendar information are stored locally, and synced with Google's servers. On some phones, you can turn off mobile data, and only sync over WiFi. On any phone, you can turn on airplane mode, but that disables the voice connection as well.

But yes, an Android phone with its mobile data switched off will still function as a cell phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones