Question at&t rooted but used on the rogers network

Last Updated:

1. gqtrebor

gqtrebor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So i bought the phone from the states. and unlocked it. I'm using it on the rogers network. I Rooted it and but Froyo on it. ( btw love it so far) lets say there is an update how can i take it since the phone always checks at&t and can't reach the server?

thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

I believe you won't be able to grab any Over the Air updates that AT&T pushes out.

I wouldn't even worry about this though. When an OTA update is released, someone in the development community on XDA will make it available for download and installation (similar to the way you installed Froyo on the phone). I don't think much of the OTA updates either. After seeing the stories about guys downloading the 2.1 update over the air, having the update fail, and truly bricking their phones...I'll pass. I'm much more comfortable with flashing my phone through ClockworkMod Recovery or Odin where there's no data download interruption.

gqtrebor likes this.
  3. gqtrebor

gqtrebor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay thanks for the reply. Just was not sure, Seems though lots of people are helping the android community, and keeping pretty much everything up to date :)

Do you have any other sites good for watching for such updates other then the forums?

4. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

I find XDA is a WEALTH of information.

Samsung Captivate Sub-forums @ XDA Developers:
    Samsung Captivate - xda-developers

If a new update is released/leaked by AT&T or Samsung, it will appear in the "Captivate Android Development" sub-forum in less than 3 hours.