Question for all you WiFi and networking guys

Last Updated:

1. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For you guys who use WiFi on your Droid at home, did you set a static ip for your Droid or just let it do its thing automatically?

I've only recently started using my Droid on WiFi at home and the other day there seemed to be a minor conflict: I think my Droid and my laptop were fighting over the same ip on my network. I turned off my phone and laptop, rebooted the router, and then the Droid and laptop seem to have chosen separate ip's. (And ever since, they seem to have both stuck with the ip's they chose... The Droid goes for 192.168.0.2 and the laptop goes for 192.168.0.3).

I'm actually going to add another one or two networked devices shortly and am I'm wondering if anyone else has/had this issue and what they did to remedy it... A phone and a laptop aren't any big deal; but a phone, a laptop, and a couple of NAS devices could get a little sticky.

Also, I'm certainly no networking expert, so feel free to dumb your responses down for me :)

Thanks, all!

Advertisement
  2. RTAdams89

RTAdams89 Well-Known Member

There is no reason your laptop and phone should try to use the same IP address as long as your router's DHCP server (what assigns IPs) is working correctly. However, if you are going to have a server type device (like a NAS) on your network, it would be best to have a static IP for it. Ideally this would be set up as a "Reserved" address on the router. Not all router's support this, but it's a good idea if possible, since everything is then managed from one location/device (the router) instead of having to set/maintain IP addresses on each device.

jmt9779 likes this.
  3. e4tmyl33t

e4tmyl33t Member

Most routers automatically assign addresses to different network devices using DHCP. Most of the time each device gets its own address and everything works fine. Occasionally a router will forget its brain and try to assign the same number to two devices at once, possibly because the number "lease" on one device is renewing at the same time it's assigning the same number to another device.

Normally you can just either powercycle the router (pull the powercord out for 10 seconds or so) or just turn off networking on one of the devices for about as long and turn it back on and it's all right. If it starts happening frequently though, your router may be starting to fail.

You shouldn't need to worry.

Any other questions, just post em up!

jmt9779 likes this.
  4. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

As e4 said, there can occassionally be a mix up, but it's easily fixed as you saw. I ran into this last week myself. Nothing to really fret over.

jmt9779 likes this.
  5. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it guys.

I'm gonna install the first NAS this weekend - If I have any issues, I'll post 'em here.