• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for anyone with any Seidio Active case/holster.

hal1

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2009
I really want a Seidio spring holster for my Maxx but they're not making one right now. I already have a fairly thin silicone type case.

I have found that on past phones the hostler designed for the Surface case just about fits the same phone with a thin silicone case. So I figure the holster for the Active case must be a bit larger

The Galaxy S4 phone is slightly smaller than the Maxx (dimensions listed below)

Here's my idea,

I could get the Seidio Active holster designed for the S4 (this choice seems the best fit as it is the most uniformly smaller on each side). My thinking is that the holster for the Active case may be big enough to accommodate the Maxx with a thin silicone case (since it is designed to accommodate the larger Active case), then if needed even up take some of the extra room by adding some thin material in the bottom corner of the case until it fits the Maxx.

So, I need to know how much bigger the Seidio Active case is over the Surface case to give me an idea if that extra size might provide enough room for the Maxx with a thin silicone case to fit in it.

Maxx (mm) 137.5 x 71.2 x 8.5
Galaxy S4 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9

Too convoluted a description or did this make sense?

Hi hal1,

You're absolutely correct, typically Seidio ACTIVE holster will work with a same phone in TPU case. I have tested every single Seidio case for Note 2 and S4 and starting with Note 3 now (check out link in my sig), and so far it has been true with all of them although ONLY while using the same phone model it was designed for.

Honestly, it will be hard to tell just by looking at dimension numbers. Also, TPU cases vary in thickness as well. I wish Best Buy would carry ACTIVE, but as you know they do carry re-branded SURFACE under Platinum name. That just leaves you with a choice of ordering it from Amazon and trying it out. If it doesn't work, it's easy to return it. Perhaps if they don't sell holster by itself, you can order the whole ACTIVE combo to test out the holster and then decide if you want to return and to purchase holster only from Seidio directly or to keep it as is.

Upvote 0
The Holsters are indeed sold separately, I think I'm going to pick one up for the HTC One and the S3 or S4, Those phones are just a squinch smaller than the Maxx. From what I've seen the Active cases seem large enough that a holster for those should be more than large enough to accommodate the Maxx after adding a bit of padding inside them.

For those that don't understand my obsession, you haven't seen the very convenient one-hand on/off of the Seidio spring clip holster

Upvote 0
The Holsters are indeed sold separately, I think I'm going to pick one up for the HTC One and the S3 or S4, Those phones are just a squinch smaller than the Maxx. From what I've seen the Active cases seem large enough that a holster for those should be more than large enough to accommodate the Maxx after adding a bit of padding inside them.

For those that don't understand my obsession, you haven't seen the very convenient one-hand on/off of the Seidio spring clip holster

You are not alone with this obsession. In every Seidio review I have written - I always pay special attention to their holster with best in class spring loaded latch mechanism. I actually like the design of their CONVERT holster better since it can be locked, and belt clip is removable to use with other attachment like for bike mounting. My ultimate setup is with CONVERT holster and UAG case with stick-on credit card pouch inside of holster which I use during the summer with my Note 2 to cut down on items I carry with me (that replaces my wallet since I put driver license, cc and atm card, and a few bills).

Upvote 0
Keeping in mind there is no Seidio currently available for the Maxx. - I Figured out my answer.

Seidio Surface case - 1.mm (near the same as my silicone case
Seidio Active case - 2.2mm.

That mean the Active case is roughly 2.4mm (1.2 x 2) larger than the Surface.I'm thinking I can find a Seidio Active holster for a phone that is about 2.4mm smaller than the Maxx to account for the holster being 2.4 mm larger for the active case while I am only using a smaller silicone case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones