Question for Canada HTC magic's voice search functionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Manitoba

Manitoba New Member This Topic's Starter

I couldn't find the voice search function for the new Google maps app on the Canada HTC magic from Rogers. Please help.

Advertisement
  2. happyally

happyally Active Member

Rogers/HTC pulled it from the Canadian version of the operating system... I haven't been able to find a reason why...

3. hotweiss

hotweiss Active Member

Oh wow, that's disappointing. Maybe they pulled it because it will use more data?

4. Donkey3000

Donkey3000 Member

Yes, its very disappointing, and annoying. That would be such a great feature that would save a lot of time typing in an address. Hopefully Rogers gets with the program, otherwise I'm taking my phone back in a rage.

5. hotweiss

hotweiss Active Member

Just get a modded ROM. Hopefully any day now the Rogers ROM will be rooted.

6. timbro

timbro Active Member

I talked to rogers tech support and they said for reasons unknow that functionality was not included.

Now my question is why is this function not on the android market as a download? What is the deal with that?

7. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

because this "function as you call it" is not an App ... it is part of the OS ... and will need to included in a future update at such time as google has it prepared and Rogers is ready to push it out to its customers ...

8. timbro

timbro Active Member

Will i be able to get this functionality if i Root my phone?

Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of rooting the phone?

9. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

You would not receive OTA updates from T-Mobile if you root .. you would rely on the many private builds that are available and are most of the time ahead if features of the OTA services.

I suggest you just do a search of the many threads of Root, rooting on this forum, also check the FAQs ...

10. yklecki

yklecki New Member

Hi,

I live in Sweden and also got my HTC Magic a week ago and some of the functionality I was expecting to have is missing. like voice command for map as well as for voice call. I also was reading that there is a zoom-wheel functionality. It is strange to me that the carriers that are selling the phone don't mention that. Can you imagine if you buy a car thinking that is full equiped and you paid for it to discover afterwards that the gps, back sensors are missing ( ops in Sweden we take them away...sorry,you didn't know?)? I don't think that is fair I wonder if it is legal. I am upset about that but I still love the phone, the SDK and plug in for Eclipse.

Google Rules!