Question for Google Voice UsersGeneral

Last Updated:

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have Google Voice & am using it with my current phone. However, I haven't given anyone my GV number, I still use my regular number.

For fully take advantage of my soon-to-arrive Incredible, should I have people start calling that number?

I currently receive the transcribed voice mails, but I'm not sure what I'm missing by not using the GV number.

I'm hoping someone can share their experiences & thoughts.

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement
  2. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member

Yes, give out your Google Voice number from now on. GV lets you pick which phones to ring to as a ringlist. This is great in case your phone dies you can redirect calls elsewhere. You can block phone numbers and do FREE texting through GV, no need to pay for texting through the carrier anymore.

I have some questions myself. How does GV integrate with android? Is it easy to text through the app? How about make phone calls through the app? Does the app see your contact list in gmail?

3. StormSurge

Thanks!

How does the SMS work with it? People send the SMS to the GV # & I reply using my phone, but don't get charged from Verizon?

I will start switching people over now!!

4. ccoager

You wouldn't reply as a normal text, it would be through Google Voice. You can do this already without the phone using a web browser.

5. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

I've had Google Voice for about a year now and only used it for one text message when my phone got wet.

I may try it when I get my new Incredible. I've never even used my invites!!

6. StormSurge

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!!

7. Umyaya

Umyaya Member

Any chance you would want to PM me one of your invites?

8. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

It doesn't get charged by Verizon because it uses data. In the way it is sent and received, it works more like an email than a text message. Just make sure that you don't have it set up to forward texts to your phone, or else GV will send it as a regular text and it will be counted as a text by Verizon. Turn the forwarding off and it will come through the GV app only. Also, GV does not support picture or video messages at this point. Hopefully they add that in the future.

9. rockokma

rockokma Well-Known Member

Google Voice has 4 toggle options for calls.

1. Only use google voice for international calls.

2 Use google voice for all calls.

3. Ask every time I make a call.

4. Never use google voice.

It uses your phone and contacts so you really never have to do anything other than toggle things.

For text messaging it's pretty much the same as regular text messaging, the trick is to make everyone remember to text your new GV number.

You can give everyone your GV number now. Just too many options with it to describe. Plus add the numbers on your Friends and Family if you have it, and get unlimited calling!

You do not get charged from Verizon at all.

Sailingmaster, ccoager and Alfdroid like this.
  10. airbourneone

airbourneone Member

Agree with the group here on Google Voice.:) Great product!

I am looking forward to using it with the Incredible. IMO it's a great way to eliminate VW text message charges, if configured properly and you are already receiving your calls on your mobile via your GV #.

11. Faceman

Faceman Member

If you are feeling generous, i would also like an invite!

12. ccoager

There is a way to disable receiving/sending texts through Verizon. That way you can drop the texting service and not accidently receive any texts on your cell phone and get charged.

13. Alfdroid

Alfdroid Well-Known Member

I signed up for GV for the free texting...plus, since I sit in front of a PC all day, I love being able to text people using my keyboard. Once I get my Inc., I plan on switching completely to GV and giving everyone my GV number.

For those of us that don't have a home phone and use our cell # for everything, GV is also great because it lets you screen calls.

There is a down side to this, though. Since your GV # is not a Verizon #, people who call you will be charged minutes, even if they are Verizon customers.

14. TzuDohNihm

TzuDohNihm Well-Known Member

That's a can of worms. if you have an extra one I'd be interested in it. Thank you.

15. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

I'd take an invite too if you've got a spare. (Sorry not trying to turn this into a google voice invite thread...)

16. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Wow, did i make a mistake saying that.

17. storm14k

storm14k Well-Known Member

I'm going to use GV to get around the texting plan when I get my Incredible. However the drawback seems to be that my messages won't be integrated into the unified inbox. I'd really love to have all my messaging tied together. The native app still needs some work too and they aren't moving very fast on it at all. You'd think this would be deeply integrated into Android by now.

18. rockokma

I have never used Droid's text messaging system, only used Handcent, and that does group it with all text messages.

So there you go. Not sure if the Inc will.

storm14k likes this.
  19. flippedout

flippedout Member

I made the jump from TMo to VZW for this phone. Coverage, regardless of network, is so so at my house so if someone calls my GV# and the phone is on Wi-Fi, will the call come through? Same goes for making outbound calls...does it have to be on the cell network or will the wi-fi connection work?

Thanks!

20. Mrgadgetz

Mrgadgetz Active Member

I'd also like one. I'm getting my incredible this week. I text more then I talk so using Google voice as a free sms service would be great.

21. rockokma

Let me google that for you!

22. rockokma

$3 bucks on ebay, gogogo

23. ejkeebler

ejkeebler Well-Known Member

doesnt the texting make it a little awkward to interface with some of the features of the sense ui? i mean if I text through google voice, when i go into my contacts, will i see that communication in the text messaging area? Also when calling with google voice, is there any delay? i mean right now I use it with a voip phone on my router and there is a seoncd or two delay that makes it awkward to talk on, so I rarely use it. I'd actually just like it to show my google voice number and use my verizon minutes and nothing more, but I dont think it can be configured that way?

24. ncsustash

ncsustash Well-Known Member

25. ncsustash

ncsustash Well-Known Member