• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question for runners

drbugsmn

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
I'm looking at doing a 5k this year, so have downloaded the C25k app after several friends talked about how much they liked the program. Has anyone tried this app or any of the other C25k apps?

What about armbands, or other means of clipping the phone to your body? Any recomendations? FWIW I'm in Minnesota, so will have cold weather gear on. Any earbud/headphone recomendations?

TIA!

I use an old incase sport belt for the gym and running that was made for the original ipod..my D1 and D2 fit perfectly, and believe it or not, the GNex fits as well. For armbands, it has been mentioned that the TuneBelt 83 and 84 both can hold the Gnex. For headphones, I only wear bluetooth ones when working out, no wires to deal with. I currently have the Moto S10HD, also had the Moto S9HD which lasted for nearly 4 years.

Upvote 0
i'm not familiar with that app. I usually use Run Keeper Pro but haven't tried it on my G Nex yet. I would like to know about an arm band or belt clip as well. I know there are a couple of cases out in the wild that have a belt clip integrated into them.

C25k is the Couch to 5k program, an 8 week program to get ready for a 5k. It's been 15 years since I ran seriously, so I thought I'd start from the ground up. I believe this is the site that created the original c25k training Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is an awesome thread, I did a few 5Ks this past season, and want to step up to 10Ks this year- I didn't even stop to think that there might be a training app!

I was just using "My Tracks" to track my path/speed, etc.

Try Run Keeper...I'm not much of a runner, but I bike a lot and still works.

Upvote 0
Try Run Keeper...I'm not much of a runner, but I bike a lot and still works.

Thanks, I actually had it on my phone but don't remember downloading it, so maybe I did toy with it a while back on a previous phone and the initial sync grabbed it and pushed it to my GNex?!? At any rate it seems perfect actually, I'll have to try it tomorrow when I run...

Upvote 0
I got this in today:

Tune Belt

Very nice quality. Tight fitting both on your arm and the phone inside the pouch (it definitely won't fall out). Touch screen even works through the plastic WITH a screen protector on the phone!
You say the phone fits in this (the AB83), but the tech specs for the armband specify for a max of 5" long (this phone is ~5.4" long)- it definitely fits?
I was just about to order the AB85 because it fits up to 5.5" (although the circumference is a good inch more than necessary), because I doubted the fit for either the AB83 or AB84...

Upvote 0
My wife and I completed the C25K program back in November. We used the app (lite edition) on my wife's Dinc and worked great. Only issue we had was one time we were running and she got a phone call. The call actually paused the timer in the app which in turn made us run for longer than needed. I highly recommend it and good luck with running.

As far as armbands/belt pouches. I've used my wife's armband which was for an iphone but fit her Dinc. The Gnex fits inside upside down and hangs out the top with headphones plugged in, but it worked. I wouldn't recommend it though. I'm looking for another alternative and have seen belt pouches though I'm not sure how they'd interfer with my running.

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
20120103_135032.jpg

20120103_135112.jpgIt is tight on the sides (which is good - it won't flop out) and it ALMOST closes on the top - it doesn't hang out of the pocket. See pics. Hope this helps.

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I use iMapMyRun+, it shows elevation (something I liked about MyTracks) and you can enter your weight to get an estimate for calories burned.

I actually only use it for walking (I have the Nike+ ipod nano for runs and I'm too paranoid to take my phone while running) but I've been mostly happy with it. There are times where it seems to lose GPS so it doesn't record the full distance, or if you lose your data signal when you're done you can't upload the workout.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I jumped for the AB84 just to be sure (plus I have the TPU case on right now).

Thanks again for the pics though!

Yeah, I may have to go up too. I have an otterbox commuter coming. Although it does hold my phone (w/extended battery) I don't think it could swallow a case too.

I will wait and see.

Let us know here if the bigger one is too 'bouncy'.

Upvote 0
The c25k app is great. I used the pro version that was created by Guy Hoffman, worked flawlessly for me. I used it last spring/summer along with RunKeeper Pro, to track my distances, calories burnt, routes, etc. With the help of these 2 apps and a heavy playlist of music I was able to drop 50lbs in 2011 :)
If you get beyond the initial c25k program, the B210k (Bridge to 10K) app by Guy Hoffman is fantastic too.
RunKeeper is great because it logs a lot of your stats online so you can keep track of what you've accomplished.
Not to get too far off topic, but this video was a huge inspiration to keep me going all the way to finish that c25k program, and most of the b210k program before I banged up my leg.
My 120 pound journey. - YouTube

Upvote 0
I've been running for a long time, so I haven't gone from my couch to a 5K since 1983 - so, I can't help you with the app. (I do use Runkeeper to track new routes that I run, though not every run - I use it just to calibrate how far a particular route is.)

I do carry my phone, as I have carried an iPod for music, for years. I have tried armbands, etc., but I am most happy with the simple solution of running with a pair of shorts (or long pants in winter) with pockets, and carrying my phone in a zip-loc bag (to keep it from getting condensation). I run with soccer shorts rather than the traditional banana-hammocks, but, if that doesn't work, there are always small packs, or wearing a bicycle jersey top with a back pocket, or something like a small cameback pack. I just don't like having anything around my arm, and, if I trip and fall (which happens once or twice a year), having the phone in a hip pocket keeps it closer to my center of gravity and less likely to tumble away from me, tragically.

My $0.02, anyway.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd follow up on this.

I started with C25k by Hoffman. I did one run on it, and overall it was a very good app. It is lacking GPS support, which is something I really wanted, as I want to learn pacing while I'm doing this.

I ended up switching to the rundouble c25k app. This is another very good app, and the gps support for me madie it worth the switch. If you want, it will upload the run results to the website, which you can make private or public. If private you can still share the link.

I am almost done with my second week using rundouble. End result is they are both good apps.

Upvote 0
I am currently using C25K Pro by Hoffman, and am on week 5. Its simple but does its job. I will say that the design of week 4 seems off to me, as week 5 is actually EASIER than 4 in my mind. Other than that though, it seems to be working. I have a 5K on March 31st, so won't quite be able to finish the program. I just put the phone in my pocket at the moment (I know, I know).

Upvote 0
Just to add: I use the TunBelt for the armband.

I used to use CardioTrainer but had a few problems with Music integration so now I am using Edmondo. I have also used the Adidas coach program which was OK but I didn't really use the coaching part.

I use tunebelt too (ab84), it's really nice. Still need to get some bluetooth headphones. I will look into edmondo and runkeeper for once I'm done with the program. I will probably need some pacing help after the 5k program.

I am currently using C25K Pro by Hoffman, and am on week 5. Its simple but does its job. I will say that the design of week 4 seems off to me, as week 5 is actually EASIER than 4 in my mind. Other than that though, it seems to be working. I have a 5K on March 31st, so won't quite be able to finish the program. I just put the phone in my pocket at the moment (I know, I know).

I liked c25kpro by hoffman, it was very easy to use. I just wanted speed/distance tracking.

I don't know how week 4 and 5 are yet, but here is the (from what I'm aware of) the source of couch to 5k
Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones