1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Question for S4 owners ONLY

1. Europa76

Europa76 Active Member

Not that it's important to me but I was just wondering whether the sides of the device are made of aluminium or plastic. No guesses please, only answer if you own the phone, thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Well-Known Member

It seems to be plastic. It's winter here in South Africa and the best time to find out if its metal or plastic is when the phone has sat without any use for a long period. With a metal phone you IMMEDIATELY feel the cold aluminium, with the S4? Nah, it's plastic, also, in direct sunlight if you look closely at it you'll notice the brownish plastic it's made of. It seems to be Polycarbonate.
  3. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member

Its plastic.
  4. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

Plastic, but looks really good though.
  5. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member

Put a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on it and call it a day....
  6. hansangb

hansangb Well-Known Member

I will say that I tried to answer this for you...but couldn't do it easily. I looked but couldn't really tell one way or the other!
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I saw the replies above saying it was plastic and thought, no it's not, I'll get my ohm meter out and prove them wrong. Well I did, but I haven't.

It looks exactly like metal (although not aluminium) but it doesn't conduct electricity so it is either covered in a clear non-conductive coating or it really is plastic. Even on close inspection it really looks like metal though.

Out of interest, why do you care?
  8. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like metal to me. It looks like plastic.
  9. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member

Guys, it IS plastic.
  10. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

It's plastic. Hmmm if not important, have to wonder why the question? What if someone that didn't own the phone knew the answer :D
  11. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

There is an almost identical thread on xda and, like this thread, it's just a series of opinions. No-one actually seems to have any evidence one way or another.

I had a quick Google but I didn't immediately find anything definitive but I quickly lost interest as it doesn't much matter to me one way or the other. I am mildly curious though just because it looks like metal to me.
  12. tytlyf

tytlyf Well-Known Member

I have the black 16g on verizon and it looks aluminum or metal to me. If that's plastic, they did a good job of making it look identical to aluminum.
  13. planeluvr

planeluvr New Member

That's what I did. :smokingsomb: