• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for those who have moved on to other phones

cmotion

Jan 24, 2010
I know that a lot of people who have been a part of the Eris community for a while and then moved on to either the Droid X, Droid 2, Incredible, Fascinate, etc. still check in with us once in a while. This is a question for them. I stopped into a Verizon store tonight to play with the new phones and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. They seemed quite laggy for having almost twice the processor speed as (stock) Eris. Anyway, my question: Is this just because they are the floor models, that have been bogged down by having people do who-knows-what to them? I checked Running Services and, while I usually have around half a dozen on my Eris, there had to be close to 20 things going. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it? Anyway, if you've moved on to a newer phone I'd be curious to hear which phone and what your opinion has been with the phone brand new, how it runs currently, and if you've rooted... no gloating please ;)

The amount of things running on the newer phones is just because they have twice the RAM the Eris does, so they can afford to run so many more things without taking a significant performance hit.

I'm sure a lot has to do with them being floor models. I can noticeably tell that my friend's stock Droid 2 is A LOT faster than my Eris, even being OC'd with custom ROMs. The biggest performance gains in the newer phones is that they can open apps quicker, multitask better, and play better games. Anything else is more of a per user basis on which features and apps you regularly use.

Upvote 0
Quick follow-up... maybe "laggy" isn't the right word. They just didn't seem as snappy as I assumed they would be- moving between screens, opening apps, etc. Also, I'm running xtrROM 4.6, so that's my comparison.

Just booted-up my Eris to test an app out on it and even though I'm running xtrSense 4.6.5, my Droid X is lightning fast compared to it (and I don't even have my DX running in performance mode).

Must be the floor models and all of the crap that people install while testing it out (I know I installed stuff on the phone that I tested).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I noticed the same thing when I was looking at new phones when I had my Eris. The Droid 2 was by far the worst. It was incredibly laggy and slow. The Fascinate wasn't all that much better. I didn't really look at the Droid X because of the size. I just didn't want a phone that was that big. The Droid Incredible is the one phone I used at the store that was snappy and lag free.

I now have an Incredible, and well, it's Incredible.

To answer your question, though - there is no right answer. There are so many great Android phones right now that you have to go with the one you like best.

The DX is a great phone. The Incredible is great. The Fascinate is great. The Droid 2 is a great, phone too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones