question for those who use the standard car dock

Last Updated:

1. itsaddison

itsaddison Active Member This Topic's Starter

There are two parts, the circular disc that sticks to the glass and then the actual holder which suctions against the disc. Do y'all leave the holder attached at all times? Even when you get out of the car? Or do you take it on and off as you use it?

I'm just wondering how secure that disc is to the glass.

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

if you plan to stick it on the windshield (or other glass), you don't need to use the disc. the disc is used if you want to mount on the dash (or other non-smooth surface).

mine is attached to my center console, so i leave it most of the time. if it was on my windshield i would probably take it off (to deter theft).

3. agemme27

agemme27 Well-Known Member

I leave mine stuck to the windshield all the time although I probably shouldn't. sometimes i'll separate the plate from the arm and leave just the arm attached. Amazingly the mount hasn't fallen off yet and it's been attached since Christmas. My old Garmin mount would fall within hours.

4. ggp

ggp Well-Known Member

I leave the complete assembly adhered to the center console. I like to just snap my phone in and go... but agreed that the adhesive disk was only intended to mount elsewhere, other than glass which the suction works just fine on without.

5. starnesc

starnesc Member

Same for me, mine has been on for a long time. My Tom Tom mount would definately have fallen by now.

6. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

I leave mine attached to the glass at all times. My theory is that if thieves see suction cup marks they are going to think a gps unit is hidden in the glove box. If they can see the whole thing there and realize it isn't anything useful they will just go away.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The only time I remove my car mount off the windshield is when I move it to the wife's car.

8. Coogi

Coogi Well-Known Member

I have only removed mine once, so my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat could atch the movie with it plugged into my radio.