Question for those with multiple devices...Support

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I like to play with techie stuff even though half the time I don't know what i'm doing. So i'm always at risk for breaking something. Was thinking of buying either another Ally or a Droid 2 to have a spare phone to 'play around with' so-to-speak (if I got a D2, i'd make the Ally the play phone). One that I can try to learn how to build ROMs, test ROMs, play with different apps, etc. without having to worry about screwing up my main phone. I see a number of people here who have multiple devices and was curious about a couple of things.

1.) Is there a way to use these phones without actually having an account with Verizon? I.E., with my 'play' phone I could care less about making phone calls. Can it be booted up and used just over a local wireless network without actually activating it? I wouldn't want to have to pay for another line or data package if I have no intentions of using it.

2.) Do you have to get the phone through Verizon or can you get a phone off of say Ebay that can be activated if need be?

Advertisement
  2. wgbeatty

wgbeatty Well-Known Member

If you don't want to activate the phone, but operate it, I thought I read about tapping the corners of the screen (left top corner, right top corner then left bottom corner, right bottom corner) when you get the the "tap the android" screen. This may not be the exact procedure, but maybe someone can chime in. I thought I read it here in these forums.

This would kick the phone into a "demo mode". Does it stay that way, not sure.

3. Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton Well-Known Member

If you want a phone just to "play" with, then buy any functioning Ally that has a bad ESN. You can get them pretty cheap. You can flash any ROM's you want without worrying about bricking your daily use phone, and you can still use it via the wifi for web browsing,etc. I'm seriously thinking about doing that myself.
    JL

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  4. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys. I will look into one with a bad ESN and see if I can get it cheap. What is ESN, BTW?

wgb, you should have gotten a thanks, but I got a strange error message when I clicked it. So consider your self thanked as well. :)

5. Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton Well-Known Member

If I understand right, it's:
    Electronic
    Serial
    Number
    It's a number that's unique to THAT device, and ONLY that device.
    JL

6. myfishbear

myfishbear Well-Known Member

its like a fingerprint lawl:p

7. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

Its used to activate the device on the network, virtually the same as an MEID except an meid is for cdma phones usually
    Mobile
    Equipment
    Identifier

I could go into more detail but i wont. Its used to activate the phone so...thats all thats really important at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Equipment_Identifier

8. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

Top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left.

And it's not a demo mode, it's fully operational (with the obvious exceptions of phone antenna).