Question for when OTA comes out....

Last Updated:

1. hbk5585

hbk5585 Active Member This Topic's Starter

OK, so its been said over and over that if you're rooted you can't download the OTA (when it comes out) without unrooting the phone...so, can someone who knows comment on whether this would work?

1. When OTA comes out, don't install, instead I backup everything with Titanium
    2. Undo root by downgrading, using the original OS
    3.Download OTA update(s)
    4. Reroot with unrevoked3
    5. Download Titanium and use it to restore

Would that work? I don't mind downgrading for the OTA if I can get back my stuff again....

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Only problem is the update might patch the loophole and you could lose the ability to re-root your phone

3. DomesDKG

DomesDKG Member

Will there be a way to install the update other than OTA, so that we don't have to unroot? Will unrooting wipe all data off the phone?

4. windycity

windycity Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's possible to install the leaked OTA with root but unrooting is pretty much a full factory reset so you will lose everything in the process. There's the Titanium backup though potentially.

5. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

yes this will work... its what everyone is doing with the leaked OTA already

6. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

So the new ota will not lock you out of root?

Also why do people have to unroot the phone first if the ota will do it for you?

7. hbk5585

hbk5585 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I can confirm that this does work...however, be careful with titanium backup...make sure it doesn't restore the earlier camera...that screwed everything up and redo the entire process...:mad:

8. yojoe600

if it is the same as the leaked then no.... but if they changed the official one it could

9. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

Well I am just going to wait for a safe rom to use first. I didn't root just to have to unroot to get basic updates and reroot again.

Somewhere along the line something is going to go wrong from going to the well too many times. Even if the root process has been made much simpler.

10. chaseacej

chaseacej Member

Would a nandroid backup screw up the camera as well? I am looking to go to the upgrade but want everything back to where i was.

11. jtcarnes

jtcarnes Well-Known Member

I'm sure that once the OTA actually hits, there will be ways to install it onto your rooted phone without it having to come OTA... You can already download and install the leaked version... I'd imagine the same will hold true for the final very soon after Verizon pushes it.

12. rmk

rmk Well-Known Member Developer

You're not going to get a safe rom because the OTA contains a radio update in the form of a diff. Many of us have tried to turn the OTA into a patch (zip) and there's simply no way to get the radio update applied without stock recovery.

The radio update is required to use the OTA at all. Otherwise using the camera reboots the phone and the wifi driver does not even load. So like it or not, you're going to have to revert to stock in this case. If future updates do not contain a radio change, then we won't need to go through this process. But anytime they do, expect a similar process.

13. mickym5

mickym5 Well-Known Member

I am currently rooted, but would like the contents of the upcoming OTA. I understand that I have to revert back to stock and unroot in order to install this update, since the new radio is what I am most excited about. Is this our only option to go about applying the update? I like having root access, but ultimately I would rather receive the OTAs that will be coming soon. Does anybody have any insight about whether or not there will be a way to install these updates in the form of a ROM without losing root, or should I just bite the bullet and unroot if this is what I ultimately want with my phone?

14. yojoe600

as of now you must unroot to install it but there may be something soon from unrevolved that makes it easier

15. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

What if you are rooted on a stock rom? No good?

So is the bottom line you have to unroot to get this?

16. yojoe600

as of now yes......

17. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

Yea I got that, but the way rmk made it sound is that there can never be a rom made for this.

Why I dunno.

18. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

Think its just b/c the nand is still locked