Question from a potential Captivate buyer ...

Last Updated:

1. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Quick question about AT&T and Android:

I'm going to use this BB coupon to upgrade my mother's phone to the Captivate (she currently has a Backflip, which she detests, that I bought used, so she is still eligible for an upgrade). She currently has a $30 unlimited data/texting plan that was for her old Samsung Eternity, but also works with her Backflip. Will I be forced to switch to the new data plans since we are officially upgrading, or will she be grandfathered in? I read that upgrading iPhone users did not have to switch to the new plans, but I can't seem to find anywhere where non-iPhone users are addressed.

Advertisement
  2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

you should not have to switch data plans. we switched from a BB and was not forced to change data plans.

3. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

The data plans for an Eternity are not the same data plan options available for a Smartphone. The fact you could switch it over to a Backflip is probably a good sign, but it may of been a YMMV situation.

Current Eternity options ("dumbphones")
    Current Captivate ("smartphones"):

4. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I think I got away with that one by not really upgrading. It's not a huge deal -- $15 for 200MB and $15 for 1500 messages should suit her and cost the same as the old plan, just liked having the security of "unlimited." :)

5. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

Wifi is free so thats good... tell her to be careful if she sends pictures through text messages because it will eat up those 200mb in a couple of messages

6. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

I heard that even if you go over your data limit that it just bumps you up the tier for that month only. So no insane penalty fee or anything like that. So that's not a HUGE deal.