• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question: Moving discount to other line

neodorian

Android Expert
Jan 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Last summer I bought a pair of Palm Pres at launch...one for me and one for my girlfriend. It's been a mixed bag as I like a lot about the Pre but I also am ready for an upgrade. Somewhere along the line I ended up with a $150-off eligibility on her line. Not sure where that came from but it's there on my account.

Anyway, I am hoping to pick up a Supersonic when it comes out sometime in the next few months if rumors are accurate. If it is not out until June this is a moot point as both lines will be eligible for a yearly update but if it comes out in a week or a month I would love to use that $150 off.

My question is whether or not I can just have them switch the discount to the other phone. We are on a shared plan with two identical phones. I just don't need to upgrade hers just yet and was hoping there was an easier way than upgrading hers then swapping ESNs. She is not keen on any scheme that risks screwing up her number or her phone (even though the bill is in my name).

Any Sprint folks care to chime in on how likely it is to get CS to just move the discount to the other line?

Lol its easier than that. I do this all the time. Just go in and buy the phone for your other line. When you get home, hop on sprint.com. Find the ESN swap. (activation) Activate the old phone again. The phone you bought should now be de-activated. Now ESN swap the NEW phone to your desired line.

Upvote 0
Lol its easier than that. I do this all the time. Just go in and buy the phone for your other line. When you get home, hop on sprint.com. Find the ESN swap. (activation) Activate the old phone again. The phone you bought should now be de-activated. Now ESN swap the NEW phone to your desired line.

BBAAAADDDDD idea. If you do this, you *WILL* lose any Mail-In Rebates on your new phone, as the MIR form says that the phone *MUST* remain active on the line it was purchased for while the Rebate is processing.

Just call up CS and ask them to change the line that is marked as the primary line, they can get it changed over for you, it will take effect at the start of the next cycle and the upgrade discount will update in 1-2 months. If you *REALLY* can't wait that long, just ask them to provide you the upgrade discount on the purchase for the other line, they can note the account that the early upgrade was used and the MIR price would be applied at the time the phone is activated (you have to call a special department to get this done).

Upvote 0
Maybe I will check that out. Basically the CS rep said I had to upgrade her Pre to the Supersonic, then go home and activate it on my line and then activate one of the Pres on her line.

Sounds like a PITA and a great way to lose my June upgrade on the other line if I'm not careful. I will maybe try the Best Buy way even though I am really not a fan of that place. Every time I leave that store I am angry about something. At least the Sprint store and BB are across the street from each other in downtown Baltimore so maybe I will try to talk the guys at Sprint into it before going to BB.

Upvote 0
their insurance is much better from what i hear as well at BestBuy replace it for no fee or something if you have their insurance and it breaks, where as sprint is like 100 ontop of your insurance to replace, and even then you may get refurb

HA HA HA, nope. The agent in the store will tell you that, but then when you get the paperwork a few weeks later, it's a deductible for lost / stolen or physical damage, just like Asurion charges. The only difference I can see is that you *MAY* get a loaner phone through Best Buy if your phone is getting repaired.

Upvote 0

Do this! Just make sure you buy the phone with the discount at Best Buy so you don't have to deal with the mail-in-rebate. You get the $150 off instantly, and the phone is yours to do what you want.

Upvote 0
I tried doing this for my Dad's account. They wouldnt do it. So we threatened to cancel nothing. Instead they offer to credit $20 a month for a new line for 24 months and we'd be eligible for a new price automatically. So then because he bought the phones at BB they dont do MIR's and switched the new phone on the new line to my Moms old line. He got the Pre and she got the Pixi. And Only paid 126 for them both. 100 for the Pre and 25 for the Pixi. Then he put his old Curve on the new line. Worked and theyve been crediting it so far.

Other than that they said they can no longer change the eligibility dates in the system unless it's within like 30 days.

Upvote 0
HA HA HA, nope. The agent in the store will tell you that, but then when you get the paperwork a few weeks later, it's a deductible for lost / stolen or physical damage, just like Asurion charges. The only difference I can see is that you *MAY* get a loaner phone through Best Buy if your phone is getting repaired.
There is NO deductible with BB Black Tie. Only a monthly reoccurring charge. They only cover physical damage, software and things like that. If the phone is lost or stolen youre SOL. Thats how they get away without charging a deductible.

My Mom cracked her screen on her Pixi and they replaced it no questions asked even though she broke the phone first then got INS before her 30 days were up. They still honored it. No deductible either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones