Question on available memory. only 74mb of app memory ? normal ?Support

Last Updated:

1. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, i dont use ATK, but i do reference it from time to time to see what's causing slowdowns on my phone.

As of ow, i have only Facebook/Internet/Clock/Market/CityID/photos running when I view it in ATK (task killer), and i have 74mb of memory available.

Does that seem a little low? I seem to remember at some point having about 175mb available, but 74mb of memory seems very low. Is there something I'm missing here or is 74mb normal ? and how much is too low of memory to have ?

Advertisement
  2. starsnlaughter

starsnlaughter Member

Thats a bummer no one answered ya. I came to a somewhat similar issue & was.hoping someone posted an answer. Maybe someone will?

3. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

im hoping. When i rebooted, i had 224mb available memory based on what ATK (task killer) said, but the phone isnt any faster if i have 200mb or memory or 74mb of memory, I was just wondering if that is normal, if there is a leak, or a problem.

I know the OS uses all memory and caches things for fast startup, like windows 7, and like what vista tried to do, but failed in doing so.

It would take up all the available memory, and store it, or put it aside in other words, and keep it ready and available for when the user wants to startup applications, or cache history.

In windows 7, you'll have 2 gig of memory, 1.7 is used, (and it does say stored or cached), and there will be 200 mb left of memory, with only 1 app open in windows 7, but that is because windows 7 is allocating unused memory for a better purpose.

I'm assuming that is what the Droid OS is doing, and after doing some research i believe that is the case. you will only notice a significant drop in speed if there is only

4. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, that actually doesn't matter in the world of Android. Applications aren't closed unless memory is needed for other apps, and the the lowest priority ones are closed to make room for new ones. So frequently used apps will stay in memory. This doesn't consume battery since unused apps are idle. Task killers in that sense are bad since they remove apps from memory, gaining nothing in the process, but they force the OS to reload them later when they are needed. Also killing an app is a bad idea since it could be in the middle of something!