• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question on Data Plans and Tethering

coreymcl

Oct 14, 2009
DFW
I thought about sending this question in a private message, however I thought the discussion would better serve everyone if discussed in the forums. As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question.

Marc, those of us with unlimited data plans and don't want to change but want the tethering option added. Is there anyway around having to switch to another data plan to get tethering added? Frankly I would be OK with a cap on the tethering option but hate to lose the unlimited plan on my phone. And before others state the obvious yes I understand it's not truly unlimited.

Have you heard any rumors about changes in plans that would allow us to keep the unlimited data plan and add the tethering option?

Thanks!

I thought about sending this question in a private message, however I thought the discussion would better serve everyone if discussed in the forums. As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question.

Marc, those of us with unlimited data plans and don't want to change but want the tethering option added. Is there anyway around having to switch to another data plan to get tethering added? Frankly I would be OK with a cap on the tethering option but hate to lose the unlimited plan on my phone. And before others state the obvious yes I understand it's not truly unlimited.

Have you heard any rumors about changes in plans that would allow us to keep the unlimited data plan and add the tethering option?

Thanks!

There is no way around it. If you add the tethering you will loose your unlimited

Upvote 0

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the only tethering plans currently available take away your unlimited data plan because they are bundled with the new tiered data plans.

for example, you would pay $45 and that would give you 2gb of data for your phone, and 4gb of data to tether.

Best bet would be to wait a week until a hacked tethering option comes around ;)

Upvote 0
Exactly! Depending on your phone, you should be able to tether without a tethering plan. I can tether on my regular data plan with all my phones (Treo 750, Nokia E63, Moto Q9h) except the Iphone4. I see you have the inspire 4G. You may be able to tether with it without a tethering plan. You may want to check the inspire 4G forum for more info.

Why do you need a tethering plan? Aren't there apps that will allow you to tether for free?

Upvote 0
Root phone. Remove sim card. Download wireless tether off of market. Restart with sim card in. Enjoy.

Note, will void warranty and you'll run a chance of ruining your phone.

Serious question here (I'm new and am learning). I've read this risk a few times and am not sure what the likelihood is of actually ruining your phone. How can I reasonably assess the risk? For a phone that has the process you described performed on it, is it possible to reset to factory settings and be back at square one???

Upvote 0
Serious question here (I'm new and am learning). I've read this risk a few times and am not sure what the likelihood is of actually ruining your phone. How can I reasonably assess the risk? For a phone that has the process you described performed on it, is it possible to reset to factory settings and be back at square one???
I'd like to know, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones