question on GPS locator

Last Updated:

1. jtyl85

jtyl85 New Member This Topic's Starter

Do i have to turn on "wireless network" and "enable gps satellites" to locate my position? bcuz it seems if i just "enable gps satellites" it wont locate where i am. Is there anyway to solve this such as dl a app or is there something im doing wrong?!

thank you

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Will have a test later when I am out & about - the two should be completely independent of each other......all that should happen, is that the mobile network will quickly find your approximate position & when the GPS link is established (can take up to half a minute), your precise location is identified.

Don't forget, you need to be outside of most buildings with a clear view of the sky.

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Heavy cloud cover will also degrade the signal, as will tree cover. Wet foliage is an absolute nightmare, so if you're lost in a thick forest during a rain storm... :(

4. jtyl85

jtyl85 New Member This Topic's Starter

i guess tat explain it since im visiting china hahah w/ heavy polluted clouds..it gets bad signals...at least i knw GPS & wireless network dont need to be enable at the same time and tat they are independent stuff, since i hv a n95 b4 n i need to hv data service do hv my map working...!! now i know its not broken or nething...

thx for your info!!!

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Ah. That may also be a factor - GPS sats are in geostationary orbit and politics may be an issue. ;)