Question on Micro SD card size and SpeedGeneral

1. Boostermike

Boostermike Well-Known Member

I have a question on Micro SD card size and Speed. I tried contacted Samsung Suport, but they apprantly could not understand my quistion about card speed. Perhapes I will get better results here ( most likly). I am getting ready to Root the phone. As I understand it, it is best to get the fastest Micro SD card I can get.

I understand the maximum size card the phone can use is 32G. But what is the fastest card it can use? Like a class 10? Or ??? Also what about the "ultra" cards?

I thank you all for your help.

When I asked Samsung simply what is the fastest speed Micro SD card the phone can use... I was repeatedly given the response of "it comes with a 2gig card... No real help... Never mentioned rooting to them... Great phone, but so fair in ten contacts with tech support I have been given the wrong info , or no help 9 times... So nice to find you guys are here to really help.

Advertisement
  2. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ Guide

32gb is the highest recommended are size. But I saw someone post a while back that said they were were able to get a 64gb to work, but only after formatting it in cwm. It seems the card size is compatible, but the filesystem that comes on the card isn't.

As far as class (speed) goes, a class 10 is the highest class they make (as far as I'm aware)
    BUT I have recently been reading about the card classes, and I found an interesting bit of info. While the class 10 may have the highest read/write speed, that speed is for sequential reads or writes(like taking a video), some lower class cards may actually be better for random read/writes (like what happens when you are using the sdcard as your /data partition).

Check this out:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1150369
    wyelkins likes this.
  3. Boostermike

Boostermike Well-Known Member

Thank you for the super great info! I followed your links. Great info. Made decision easy!

I bought a 32 gig class 4 card, Staples had the Scandisk on sale for under $25.00.

And on ordering online, and having a customer service rep help me... Their system was a complete pain in the butt, so they took $20.00 off the price, so for under $5.00 I got a card.

Again, thank you for your kind help.
  4. digitalchaos

digitalchaos Member

Well here's my .02. Bought a San disk 16gb UHS-i card at Walmart and copied everything over, made my 2nd partition (bc my ROM has /data mounted to it) and once I tried to boot with it, all I got was a dark screen and nothing after POST. So looks like maybe the Prevail doesn't handle those cards too well. If anyone else has had one work, please let us know!
  5. digitalchaos

digitalchaos Member

Hey again y'all, got a small update. Just for correction, I did finally get the UHS SD card to work. I had to let CWM do the partitioning and formatting, then it recognized. I had done it already in Linux using gparted but oh well. Guess it didn't like it lol.

Chuck

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
    Lordvincent 90 likes this.