Question on Processors

Last Updated:

1. 8Ball

8Ball Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I currently have an HTC Desire running Froyo, but was looking to change to the Motorola Defy as it's more robust qualities would fit in with my use of the phone as I take it running, orienteering, mountain biking etc.

My question is how does the TI OMAP 3621 processor of the Defy compare to the Desire's Snapdragon? I know the clock speeds are 800MHz to 1GHz, but does the change in architecture mean that they are actually comparable in speed or the difference is even worse?

As the Defy is running Eclair it would still need a decent amount of power.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I put this in the Android Lounge for you, 8ball, where it seems to be a better fit than the Android News area.

3. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

You shouldn't notice a difference. 200Mhz isn't a colossal amount, you might have a few moments of lag where the snapdragon wouldn't, but performance wouldn't be dissimilar between the two devices, based on cpu alone.

I think any difference in performance would be more dependant on RAM and cache.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

+1

Absolutely..

..as well as configuration, of course; but each user likely makes the same or similar tweaks from one device to another.. I know I have.

5. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a guide I'm still updating. Since you need to be logged in to see attached images, I've uploaded the chart here as well. This is getting updated soon and will be on the ABI front page. There are some factual inaccuracies there that will be fixed, but overall, it's a good GENERAL reference.

[GUIDE] Smartphone CPU Guide - Anythingbutiphone - abi>>forums

Attached Files:

6. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

What do the numbers up the side mean? Flops?

7. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

It's explained in that thread, but basically, it's a fictitious number for comparative purposes only. If one CPU is a 1000, and another is a 2000, it means that typical performance will be 2X on the 2nd CPU.

The baseline in that comparison is the TI OMAP series with a score of 1mhz = 1 point. All CPUs are compared to that.