Question on using Clockworkmod

1. d.scardino

d.scardino Well-Known Member

Quick question when using Clockworkmod. It installed correctly using the downloaded exe. Program ran through to done. I boot up as normally into recovery leaving me at the Clockworkmod Recovery screen. From there, I open cmd and try to remove my various apps but i get errors.

What I enter:
    adb shell
    su
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk

What I get:
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
    /sbin/sh: /system/bin/rm: not found

Any words of wisdom please?

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

You may have to enter the terminal from within the phone and enter in those commands. I don't know yet what methods are working and whats not. Obviously the method you tried is not working, but someone else said they opened a terminal app and used a command to remove an app and it worked.
  3. Blotto

Blotto Member

You need to mount /system within Clockwork.
    clickster likes this.
  4. d.scardino

ok what is typed and when?
    thanks
  5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

power off
    plug in usb cable
    hold volume down+power
    volume down once to select recovery and then hit power
    now you should be at the clockworkmod recovery menu
    select "partitions menu"
    select "mount /system"

on your computer, click start, run, and then type "cmd" and hit enter to get a dos prompt

go to the sdk\tools directory and type adb shell

Then make sure to type su to get superuser permission before typing in the commands to remove the apps you want to remove.
    clickster and d.scardino like this.
  6. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

/* City ID */
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/CityID.apk

/* Friend Stream & Widget */
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/com.htc.FriendSteamWidget.apk
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/FriendStream.apk

/* HTC Facebook */ <------------*****REPORTED TO CAUSE FC's if removed******
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/HtcFacebook.apk

/* HTC Twitter & Widget*/
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/HtcTwitter.apk
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk

/* Teeter */
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/teeter.apk

/* Stock Facebook */
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/Facebook.apk

/* Verizon Visual Voice Mail */
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/VVM.apk

/* HTC Footprints and widget */
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
    /system/bin/rm /system/app/HtcFootprints.apk

once system is mounted you can enter any of these commands to remove apps
    clickster and d.scardino like this.
  7. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

hmm, i never put in su and it still removed it.
  8. d.scardino

worked great, thanks so much!
  9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oh ok, thats good to know. SU is probably only needed once the os is loaded.
  10. mgraham

mgraham Active Member

Yep, you're right. When you run adb shell you are root so typing su is redundant (doesn't hurt though). If you want to check to see what user you are, type:

id

When the OS is booted, you are not root so running su would switch to the root user.
  11. hexto

hexto Guest

Thanks. That was easy
  12. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

^ Very easy! removed city id!
  13. mickym5

mickym5 Well-Known Member

all other commands to remove bloatware work great. what commands remove stocks, google talk, and footprints? also will removing footprints cause an infinate auto sync loop like removing the friendstream app did?
  14. coolbone

coolbone Well-Known Member

if you type: ls
    you can see the names of all the .apk files. then use the same idea but replace the names as before.
  15. scott51

scott51 Member

I couldn't get this one to work
    " /system/bin/rm /system/app/com.htc.FriendSteamWidget.apk"

After many tries i seen the error,"FriendSteamWidget" Forgot the "r":eek: FriendSteam Lol
    On a side note though,your little list there was a huge huge help and i thank you!
  16. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah, I just removed CityID and it said "permission denied" yet after reboot, it was gone. Didn't enter SU. Not sure if that's normal or not but gone = good. :D
  17. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

disregard I think I got it.
  18. Marlboro

Marlboro Active Member

19. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

whats the big deal with CityID? why does everyone seem so adiment about removing it? its never caused me any problems.
  20. Skaw

Skaw New Member

I've been trying to remove bloat all morning and i cant get cmd to work with me, after i go to recovery cmd tells me "device offline" ive tried other metheds, im getting frutrated. i am on the offical 2.2 s/w. and i really hate these apps. i read one thing it said after selecting recovery and hitting power to select partitions menu, then select mount /system. I've never Seen this as an option. i am new to this rooting thing. any one got advice
  21. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com

Good description of the tools and processes needed in this link. Depending on what version of Clockwork you have, if you're running CW, I think they changed the menu awhile back. Check through all the menu options.

Most of us move unwanted apps to a disabled folder as it shows in the above tutorial. However, if you there are a few apps you are SURE you want to get rid of, you can delete them with Titanium when rooted. Be careful and you may wish to make a Nand backup right before you start debloating just in case you need to go back.