• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help question re global mode on D2G

braisim

Lurker
Mar 3, 2011
Just got a D2G from the US a month ago and pretty happy with it. I'm using it pretty much exclusively on GSM networks in Europe, so I have the phone set to GSM/UMTS. So far, so good. However, I am not roaming on GSM, since my home carrier is here in Belgium. That is to say, I do not have a choice of carriers when I'm at home - it has to be my own carrier.

The problem is, when I lose signal, the phone always prompts me to switch to global mode, which is kind of irrelevant, since there are no CDMA operators available in Europe. In any case, I wish to disable the global mode when I'm at home as this mode burns my battery quicker. (And I feel with the D2G my battery needs all the help it can get. But that's another story.)

The prompt to switch to global mode allows me to select 'don't ask me again', which I do, before selecting cancel (as I want to stick to GSM even if my signal has been lost for a brief interval). However I think that the 'don't ask me again' is only effective if one clicks 'OK', meaning that the phone will always switch to global as soon as my home carrier can't be found.

Does anyone know if there is a way of removing this prompt? Or even disabling the CDMA radio?

I've tried searching for this info, to no avail - thanks for your help.

Hello braisim.

Prompts with an applet window on the screen are generated by a service, all of which can be viewed in menu > settings > applications > running services.

If you're rooted and can identify the service causing that particular prompt, you can go into Root Explorer or whatever file manager you're using and toss that service after doing a search for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones