Question regarding orientation

Last Updated:

1. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Auto orientation annoys the crap out of me. I prefer to turn it off, however, I still want a way to have it on for viewing pictures (i.e. in the gallery or Facebook app). Is there any way to do this?

Advertisement
  2. corcor67

corcor67 Member

slide your keyboard out :D

no other way that I know of

3. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

It bugs me too. Nothing more annoying than using my phone and I accidentally tilt it, just ever so slightly, to the left or right and everything is redrawing on my screen.

4. YankeeDudeL

Believe it or not, I never actually considered that. lol

Perhaps there's a dev out there that might could figure something out.

5. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

CM6 gives you 3 options for auto-rotation. (90-180-270) It was the most frustrating addition to Froyo (the additional rotation). Not sure if this is exactly what your looking for, but at least the keyboard option is out there.

6. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the other launchers, but Sweeter Home 2 preferences let me disable auto-rotation in the home screens, but in system settings>display, I have auto-rotate screen enabled, which allows auto-rotation in the browser, gallery, etc.

YankeeDudeL and Rodeojones like this.
  7. YankeeDudeL

I've never used Sweeter Home due to it's seeming intensive customization that I feared would be over my head. That pretty much sounds like what I'm looking for, but as much as I switch wallpapers, ROMs, and themes, I don't know how it would affect Sweeter Home. I'll have to do some more reading up on it.

I wouldn't mind the auto-rotate if it wasn't so sensitive. The slightest twitch sets it off. And then, once it's orientation changes, it doesn't just simply switch back. There's a lag, and it's very annoying. I don't know if there's a set value in the accelerometer that could be changed to be less sensitive, but it's def something I wouldn't mind having tweaked.

8. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

YankeeDudeL...If you're using LauncherPro (which is what I have) it is possible to do exactly what GirLuvsDroid said. I was aware of the auto-rotate option with the LauncherPro settings, but not within the android OS itself. I turned off auto-rotate in LauncherPro (it's found in the Behavior settings of LP) but then went to Settings>Display and made sure Auto-Rotate Screen was checked. Now the home screen itself doesn't rotate, but the browser, gallery and other apps that support this feature do.

YankeeDudeL likes this.
  9. YankeeDudeL

Booyah, homey! That's it right there, did the trick. Thanks so much. Android Forums saves the day, yet again.