Question to the memory experts of the board.

Last Updated:

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Boardies.

Okay so I'm having REAL problems with the phones memory, and quite frankly, I'm getting fed up with installing, and uninstalling apps because of the severe lack of free memory.

I know FroYo will give us memory hogs the ability to save Apps to the ST card, and the sooner it's out the better.

According to my phone, I have 12MB free, but it wont allow the download, and installation of any new apps from the market, or installation of Apps fro my PC. Even if they are well below the 12MB size.
    I've uninstalled all I'm willing to, and even removed some apps that I want to keep. Just to free up some memory.

Any idea why I can't install anything else. Even 1, or 2MB in size?

I know rooting will solve this, but that isn't a path I want to take.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Advertisement
  2. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I've found that 14MB is the cut-off point below which I can't install anything else. Presumably it won't let the memory fall below 10% for some reason. It's annoying as it makes the available memory even smaller than orginally thought.

There is a possible workaround if you have Astro file manager (or something similar). You can back up all of your apps to the sd card and then uninstall the larger ones (such as games which aren't often used). You can then reinstall direct from the sd card without going through the market.

I tend to leave some apps uninstalled on the sd card and just reinstall them as and when required. I find that the phone slows down if the memory drops too low so I try to keep the free amount at 15-20MB.

Roll on Froyo as memory management is almost a full time job :rolleyes:

3. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

LMFAO!!!

I just uninstalled Astro as I didnt use it that much.

Thanks for the tip anyway,

Andy

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Ah well. Good tip for the future though

5. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

clear browser cache aswell, can use upto 10mb