Question: WiFi vs 3-4G and app internet accessTips

Last Updated:

1. dunazee

dunazee New Member This Topic's Starter

How exactly do I set up WiFi work most efficiently on my EVO? Does it know to choose the best option for getting to the internet? (WiFi or 3/4G?)

Here's why I ask: I have an app that syncs info between the internet and the phone. When I can't get a signal, it can't sync. Often I have crappy reception at home, one or two bars only (a whole 'nother thread), but I do have a strong wifi signal.

Being a newbie to all this, in my little world, logic assumes that the phone would automatically switch from 3or4G to wifi for the exchange of data (but not for talking). But I think I don't have it right. Can someone explain it to me? And how to best set up my phone to take advantage of the strongest signal for data exchange?

Thanks--d

Advertisement
  2. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

Y5 battery saver. Look it up on AppBrain. Does what you need I think and completely automatic.

3. dunazee

dunazee New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, will do. Sorry for the DELAYed response.

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

You can set wifi to turn on automatically. It's especially easy if you set it to log-in to a secured home wifi. It will switch back to 3G when you get out of range of the wifi and vice versa.

No need for another app if you don't want it.

Works the same for 4G, but I recommend manually turning on 4G only since it's the biggest drain of the 3 signal types.