question

Last Updated:

1. raymo

raymo Member This Topic's Starter

hi people.

been on villian site reading up and people were talking about upping there kernel to make it run smoother and be more snappier
    they were getting 2-3 on linpak but after changing kernel they said 4 upward. i got this test kernel from the site and i presumed i had to flash it like a rom , so i did, all it did was get stuck on boot screen, have i done something wrong

raymo

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, although I've never flashed a kernel on it's own, I believe you do just flash it like a normal ROM. I don't know what you flashed, or what ROM you flashed it onto, so I can't say why it's not worked.

Did you make a nandroid backup before doing this? (It's a good habit to get into). If so, restoring that should fix it. If not, you may have to wipe and flash your ROM again.

I see your profile says you're running froyo. You should check out froyd villain 1.1.1, which gives 4.8 on the linpak test without switching kernels :)

3. raymo

hi xyro

tried lots of different roms villian 10 upto 12 ,slidevillian wich im on at moment, super hero, kitchen roms, froyo.
    i was just reading on villian site and saw someone talking about speed and smoothness of there roms after flashing new kernel so i tried and got stuck on boot, eventually i flashed back to villian12,
    just read your reply about froyo1.1.1,
    just flashed it got message saying aborted for some reason, maybe a bad download or me, got it from villian site.

do them linpack scores make any meanig to speed of your phone
    can you really see any difference between let say 2.27on slidevillian and 3.26 on villian 12

raymo

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, you probably got a corrupted download. If you want to check if the download was successful you can check the MD5 Checksum of the file. You need 'md5sums.exe' (which can be found with google), then just drag and drop the rom.zip onto that file. It will spew out a code that should, hopefully, match the one on the froyd download page.

That would mean you have the identical file.

Personally, yes I can tell the difference between 2.8 (2.1 + HTC sense) and 4.8 (2.2). But only you can decide if it matters to you :)

5. raymo

ok cheers for that xyro
    ill give it a wirl
    thanks
    :)