question

Last Updated: 2012-03-21 02:35:18
  1. FxsX24

FxsX24 Well-Known Member

i am aware that rooting is basically taking a store bought crap loaded phone, and reinstalling the os to its basic form

similar to taking a dell and formatting it and installing windows from a off the shelf copy,

what are the advantages to rooting.
    what is this S-off. s-on stuff
    is there always a way to unbrick, if i mess up

Advertisement
  2. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

that isn't what Rooting is. Rooting is simply signing into administrator mode for the phone. Many people, once they root, flash different software onto the phone (which IS way you're talking about). But you don't need to.
  3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

On a side note congrats on 2k post euph_22.

OP, yeah you can root to remove bloat but you'll need s-off to flash roms so there's kind of a step A and step B for this phone if you're on Gingerbread (which it seems most people are by now) AND if you want to do the rom thing or not. Don't have to tho as Euph mentioned.

I'd use this thread for either/both options:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-how-root-2-3-4-downgrade-get-s-off.html

You can stop part way and root only or go the distance. Other than major, seriously unforseen mistakes, there's generally a bailout plan with HTC phones as long as you can still access the bootloader.
  4. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Oh hey, Sweet! Didn't notice.
    iowabowtech likes this.