• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question

I don't know what phone to purchase the Cliq XT or the MY Touch 1.2. Which is the better phone?

They're actually pretty comparable I think. The XT has a better camera w/flash along with some software enhancements. The myTouch has Android 1.6 compared to CLIQ's 1.5 althought it should be getting an upgrade in Q2. Of course the XT has MOTOBLUR. I really think this comes down to you going in the store and just seeing which one you like more in your hand and just seeing how it works. Me? I have a myTouch which I REALLY like but I've always wanted to try MOTOBLUR so I'm getting the XT. I figure if it just doesn't suit me as well as my myTouch, I'll just send it back. No big deal. Of course, I could end up keeping both :D

P.S. The XT has an FM Radio also if that counts for anything

Reactions: BC2010
Upvote 0
The XT is also noticably bigger than the mytouch. But, it has a better (IMO) keyboard. It really comes down to are you a social networker? If so, the XT is the most convienent route for you to take. If you are a rooter, the mytouch is farther along in that path than the cliq(XT).

For mtwo cents, the XT's keyboard is only better if you use swype. Otherwise, I have more problems with it. I'm forcing myself to get used to using swype and it is getting easier. Kinda like pulling teeth at first though :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Oh, and if you like taking pictures... then the Cliq's the undisputed choice.

Better camera, with 1.8 additional megapixels.... and it has an LED FLASHon it.

I really liked my MyTouch, but as a busy social-networker, I cannot emphasize how much it annoyed the everliving crap outta me that I couldn't use my phone's camera after 7pm!!

Even using corrective software to help me out, I still basically needed perfect lighting to get a decent picture out of a MyTouch. I realized that that'd be the case when I bought it, but I had no idea just how much it'd grow to aggravate me.

I ~just~ sold my MyTouch (after 9mo of use) and used the money to get this XT, and I certainly don't regret that decision!

Upvote 0
After using the MyTouch for a few months, I went in and got the Motorola Cliq XT this morning. I fell in love right away with how much faster it runs despite running Android 1.5, although this phone is supposed to get the 2.1 update while the MyTouch likely will not.

The Cliq XT is perfect if you're big on social networking and the convenience of having the widgets right there on your homescreen (with 5 different pages as opposed to MyTouch's 3), it's much faster and easier getting in touch with others and seeing what's going on with the world. The second you start up the phone it prompts you to fill in your information to synch your e-mail account and social networking site account with the phone, and you immediately receive alerts once you're finished. With the MyTouch, all I received were e-mails with Facebook notifications, and if I wanted to see what was going on on Twitter, I had to manually open up the app and wait for the news feed to load.

While I love both phones, the Cliq XT won me over for it's easier use and faster performance. I'm really excited for 2.1 to come out on this!

Upvote 0
After using the MyTouch for a few months, I went in and got the Motorola Cliq XT this morning. I fell in love right away with how much faster it runs despite running Android 1.5, although this phone is supposed to get the 2.1 update while the MyTouch likely will not.

The Cliq XT is perfect if you're big on social networking and the convenience of having the widgets right there on your homescreen (with 5 different pages as opposed to MyTouch's 3), it's much faster and easier getting in touch with others and seeing what's going on with the world. The second you start up the phone it prompts you to fill in your information to synch your e-mail account and social networking site account with the phone, and you immediately receive alerts once you're finished. With the MyTouch, all I received were e-mails with Facebook notifications, and if I wanted to see what was going on on Twitter, I had to manually open up the app and wait for the news feed to load.

While I love both phones, the Cliq XT won me over for it's easier use and faster performance. I'm really excited for 2.1 to come out on this!

Good choice!!!

Upvote 0

Actually I think some phones will get scaled down versions of 2.x just depending on how well the hardware can handle the update. I see the MT3G getting an update but maybe minus some features. Just guessing though. As for the XT, I agree that it seems to run faster and smoother than the MT3G. I loved the myTouch when I was using it but my XT just runs better.

Upvote 0
Actually I think some phones will get scaled down versions of 2.x just depending on how well the hardware can handle the update. I see the MT3G getting an update but maybe minus some features. Just guessing though. As for the XT, I agree that it seems to run faster and smoother than the MT3G. I loved the myTouch when I was using it but my XT just runs better.
Plans for the 2.1 update on the MyTouch 3G are tentative, leaving most folks in doubt that the phone will even get it at all, and according to some, the hardware of the MyTouch couldn't handle 2.1 anyway. Supposedly the newer MyTouch models (like the Slide) will operate it though.

The XT is a cute phone, my only gripe is the smaller screen which makes the Swype typing feature frustrating to use. I think Motorola should've slapped the "M" logo on the back instead and shrunk the buttons on the bottom as well as the track pad for more screen space. That, coupled with Android 2.1, would've made this a damn near perfect phone.

Although, I basically just described the Nexus One. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones