question

Last Updated:

1. afreet

afreet New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I have have questions about two "features" that have bothered me for a long time, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to disable them.

The first is the notification flash when I receive email, which I don't want. I get email constantly and don't particularly want my phone to start flashing at me while I'm reading a book in Aldiko, for instance. I have four email accounts, but they all come in through my gmail account, which is what I use to access everything. I thought this would be an easy fix, since I can go to Settings > Sound & display > Notification flash, and there's a check box for Email! Alas, I assume this refers to the email app on the phone and not to gmail, because gmail continues to flash notify me every time I receive an email. I also tried unchecking notifications, but that didn't do it either. I do still want the notification icon itself, so I don't want to turn off notifications in the gmail app.

The other feature is the ability to double tap the menu button to unlock the phone, which I find causes me to do a lot of butt-calling to random people. I don't even understand why anyone likes this, since isn't the whole point of the swipe-to-unlock screen that you can't accidentally unlock your phone? Anyway, I recognize that a lot of people like it, but I don't, so how can I disable it? I've been using Settings > Security > Require pattern, which certainly works, but now I need to swipe twice, and the pattern needs to be at least 4 dots so I can't even do a single straight swipe! It's great as a security feature, but not so much as a workaround for the menu button issue...

Anyway, other than these two things, I still love my Hero. But I'd love it even more if I could figure these out!

-Max

Advertisement
  2. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I only use the gmail app (I made my gmail account when I got the phone, and only gave it to important people so I actually want a notification when I get mail for that account), but its possible that the HTC email app would have the customizations that you're looking for. Since my AOL account gets tons of email (and spam) I never set up the account on my Hero because I don't want notifications all the time, instead I bookmark it in the browser and only check it when I want to.

3. afreet

afreet New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm pretty sure the email app does have those customizations, because I'm pretty sure that's what I disabled when I used the settings above, but I want to disable flash notifications for the gmail app.

4. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I think as long as you select to notify through the notification bar/ringtone/vibrate then the notification light will flash. It may even flash with all of those off. But I think the notification light only flashes for a few minutes anyway, because there are apps to increase the notification time like Missed Reminder. But if its a big deal to you then I'd suggest setting up that email account through the other app.