Questions about Amazon deal with Epic

Last Updated:

1. robnelle

robnelle Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all. My brother is about to pull the trigger on the one day Amazon deal on the Epic as seen here:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/18/hot-samsung-epic-4g-now-also-99-99-on-amazon-com/

and in the recent forum post right here.

He decided he had some questions about the phone so he went to a local Sprint store here in Indianapolis and they told him 1) The phone he would get through Amazon would be refurbished (which I don't believe) and 2) He wouldn't be able to port his Verizon phone number to Sprint if he went though Amazon.(this I don't know about) Can anyone verify if any of this is true or if it's just a load of crap the Sprint salesman told him to try to get his money?

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Link doesn't work....

1) Phone will be new unless specified otherwise.
    2) Sounds like BS to me, but not sure.

robnelle likes this.
  3. robnelle

robnelle Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for your help!

4. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member

The phone will definitely be new (but might be one that was made in July rather than more recently...not that it should make any difference, really). You can most definitely port your number from Verizon to Sprint, so the Sprint guy is full of it. Your brother would just have to wait until he got the phone and then call up Sprint to port the number. Don't bother with the guys in the Sprint shops. Just have him call Sprint customer service. ;)

5. jeramie

jeramie Member

I ordered that for my wife on Saturday and we got it on Tuesday. She was with T-Mobile and we were able to transfer her number over to sprint.

6. OutdoorOBW

OutdoorOBW Member

I got mine yesterday and I was able to port my number over from Verizon. Amazon will ship the phone and give it a number. All you have to do is call up Sprint and they will port your number over.

7. Tarrah

Tarrah New Member

I've been having issues for the last two weeks with amazon with not only this phone, but also the htc hero that I was going to buy for my dad's line. I think it probably has to do with the whole credit app process, so if you have borderline credit or new credit, I wouldn't bother with amazon. I ordered the epic at $149.99, had to call sprint to verify my credit. Called, everything was good but they put me on a spending limit ($150 per line - who's gonna spend that much on one line per month anyway?) - said amazon should be good to go on shipping it to me. Amazon put my order on hold, and 3 days later canceled it. Did this 3-4 times with different orders, still no good. Was given B.S. excuses like "sprint declined your order," "you used a p.o. box on your credit app." (not true). Called and spoke with supervisors, tried to contact their "escalation wireless dept" - which doesn't have incoming phone lines - the amazon reps have to send in an email form to get them to call you, and they have a 2-3 day window to do so. How ridiculous. I finally broke and just bought my epic from radio shack. It was $90 more, but wish I would have done that before dealing with amazon & their B.S. Just a warning to the wise - the price is great, but not so if you never get the phone.

8. comiclown

comiclown New Member

I ordered 4 epic phones with a family plan from Amazon.com on the 11/07/10. They upgraded for free 2 day shipping. The phone arrived on the 10th ( since the 7th was Sunday). The phones are brand new (not refurbished)

Anyway, I was able to port old phone numbers, from different accounts and different area codes. Previously the associates from RS, BB and Sprint Kiosk had told me that I couldn't port phone numbers from 2 different area codes.

The only thing with buying from amazon is I am not sure how the warranty and everything works? If I have to contact them with every issues I have or I can just take to a Sprint Kiosk (which is not a corporate S) or should I call the Sprint and have them direct me where to go?

Thanks,
    Sam

9. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member

Hey Sam,
    Within your first 30 days, if you have some issues related to phone or service, you will contact Sprint and they will troubleshoot it. If for some reason, you need to have the device replaced, then Amazon is responsible for replacing it within first 30 days of the service contract. Once that passed, Amazon is out of picture, and all issues will be either covered by Samsung's warranty or if you have TEP, Sprint will repair/replace your device.
    I bought from Amazon and had to return the Epic and cancel the contract within my first 30 days because my first epic and replacement both had issues.

10. comiclown

comiclown New Member

Hey Taylor,
    That is unfortunate that you had to return your epic back. What kind of issues did you have? I am little anxious as I have 4 phones to keep track of.
    Thanks,
    Sam

11. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member

Hey Sam,
    I ordered in october from Amazon, but the device I received was from a July build date. It ran smooth, but battery took 3 and half hours to top off while it would run dry in mere 4-6 hours. I thought this was normal, but then its temperatures would rise enough to make it uncomfortable to hold while it was plugged into charger. Also, it had the oreo effect. Furthermore, firmware was stuck at DG17 and no matter what I or Sprint tried, it would not see an OTA update. I didn't want to go the manual route, at least not for my first ever super-powerful android device in the first week itself; Someone on forum suggested that there may be a bigger underlying problem with device hardware and a Sprint employee also suggested me to do a replacement, so I ordered and Amazon sent me an replacement. Bad part about buying from a online retailer is that it takes 2-4 days for replacements to arrive. Now replacement device was also from July build date, had same issues and again I was asked for getting it replaced. By this time I was 24 days into my 30 days trial and figured by the time I would get my replacement from Amazon, it would be too late to give it a try and see if it works. So I cancelled my contract instead and returned the device. I will re-order again however once I get flushed out of Sprint's system.
    I am more confident about your devices however. Only thing I would say is that if you ever feel you need to get a replacement from Amazon, simply order it ASAP so you have enough time to receive it and give it a try. In my case, I spent too much time with Sprint and myself trying to get it fixed and didn't order my replacement device soon enough, which I regret. I am missing my Epic now and will re-order it soon.