Questions about data usage and background data

1. Kam01_

Kam01_ New Member

Hey all! I just got my self a lightly used g1 the other night. Im a tmobile customer w/out a data plan. I dont plan to add data as ive got wifi access all over my school campus, at home, and in the city im in, just about everywhere i go.

When i first turned my phone on, i prompted me to log in with google, which i did with my gmail accnt info. This seemed to let me access the phone no prob(which i think has been rooted as i see jesusfreek something in the phone info). I then went on to disable all 3g/2g/background data, autosync, and even cleared out the apn info just to be safe b/c i do not wanna get charged data usage.

My question is, does that take care of any chance of getting hit with data usage fees(i logged into my tmo accnt and dont see anything there, so im hoping not)?
    also, when i tried to access marketplace, it prompts me to use background data, is this background data something that counts as data usage and will end up costing me? Would i be able to turn on backround data, access marketplace, d/load what i need and then turn it off again to minimize any charges?
    I basically wanna be able to dload free apps from elsewhere, buy occassionally from marketplace, and otherwise just use the other features thru wifi. Also, i only plan on getting apps that wouldnt neccessarily need to use or force usage of background data, such as a different browser or file browser, media player etc..

On a side note, i dloaded a app from a free site that was .apk and when i tried to install it, i got a message that said something about beaing unable to parse it. What exactly is parsing?

***THANKS********

Advertisement
  2. Timm

Timm New Member

I'm in the same boat. I know using a G1 without unlimited data is odd but when there's wifi everywhere I go, it makes sense. I recently received a bill with some data charges on it (only a couple bucks) and I'm not really sure how they got there. Is there something besides the browser that's incurring charges? Is it related to any option I can change on my phone?

Thanks.
  3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

The general consensus is that if you intentionally misconfigure your APN settings, you won't incur any charges. This is what people do when travelling to avoid data roaming.

I don't know if a 'blank' APN name would be the best option; something decidedly incorrect may be more bulletproof. This is what the "APNdroid" app handles for you.
    [​IMG]
  4. Nuwanda

Nuwanda Member

How can you be charged for data usage if you cleared your APN data? At least where I live, you have to set a username and password there (and actually sign up for a data plan with the carrier before you can actually download data :p).

You don't need an app for that, there's a "Data roaming" setting under "Wireless controls" -> "Mobile networks" to avoid data roaming costs.
  5. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

I'm also operating without a data plan

you must've gotten charged when you logged into your gmail account to activate the phone.
    having your apn's deleted ensures you won't get data charges anymore.

about the app: howed you try to install it?
    try opening it with Linda File Manager
  6. yilun97

yilun97 Member

Does background data charges money with wifi ?