Questions about Droid car mounts?

Last Updated:

1. doomsjay

doomsjay Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm thinking of buying a Motorola Droid, but I have a few simple questions.

About the car mount:
    Does Motorola's car mount with its magnets charge your phone like a quick-charge mat (where you just lay it on top and it charges), or do I still need to plug it in? If not, is there a way to do this? Also, does the Droid auto-sync to the car via Bluetooth when placed in the car mount, or do I have to click something? Can I use the Google Navigation and listen to music or take calls synced with my car's stereo at the same time? For my significant's car, do Bluetooth Tape Adapters even exist?

Also, if you have time to answer,
    About music:
    How does music playback compare to say, iTunes on iPods and iPhones? Do I have to use Pandora internet radio or can I still load 16 GB of my own songs with custom made playlists and sort by artists, genre, etc.? Does it sound very good (even sound, reasonable bass, treble, etc.) synced to my car stereo?

Battery life:
    How long does the battery last with moderate use with all the features like GPS, Bluetooth, bright screen, etc. turned on? With music playing?

Camera:
    Will a just-for-fun photographer be able to take reasonable photos of scenery and building with built in camera?

And finally, what are you paying each month for your cell phone plan?
    I'm really just curious about the car mount, but if I could be convinced that these android phones can completely replace my 7 MP digital camera, Garmin Nuvi GPS navigator, and iPod, I'd be sold. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Nope. That would be a major selling point and something that they wouldn't omit.

Sure, if you think you can hack a Powermat and the car mount together.

You'd really need to replace the head unit in a situation like that.

Either. You don't "sync" (don't know why people use sync to mean everything these days) music to the car stereo. You're either streaming to it, playing audio from the Droid via aux or you're accessing the music on the SD card (depending on the approach you choose).

That's too vague a question to answer. Battery life is going to depend specifically on your usage. You won't know what it's like until you start using it. Actively using GPS kills the battery. Leaving the screen on full brightness for long periods of time kills the battery. Using 3G a lot kills the battery.

Again, vague question. The Droid isn't known for its camera. Well, not for the camera being any good. If photography is important to you, I'd suggest getting a real digital camera. If you want to take snapshots in daylight you're probably fine.

Seriously? Check Verizonwireless.com. The info is all out there already. Unless you're planning on having 2 lines with data on both, unlimited SMS, insurance on both and ringback tones on one then what I'm paying won't be relevant to you.

3. jzsean

jzsean Active Member

4. doomsjay

doomsjay Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers. I think I should stop twiddling about and just buy the thing already.