Questions about email and calendar sync

Last Updated:

1. 3cutiger

3cutiger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Trying to maximize battery life and from my research it sounds like keeping auto sync on for calendar, contacts, email etc is a major drain.
    Does anyone know when auto sync is on, how often does it actively sync?

Are there any favorite apps that will let you schedule a sync every so often so you can periodically get info pushed but don't have to have autosync on, and don't have to keep doing it manually?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Autosync has three functions. One is to push email to your device as soon as it is received at the gmail server.

Two is the calendar, which syncs "automatically" on demand when a change is seen at either end if the autosync choice has been selected.

And thirdly, the gmail app in the device checks for new "conversations" each 90 seconds to every few minutes if autosync is enabled (I tested this by removing one of the necessary google.com files from my rooted Eris and timed the appearance of the FC error messages as it was making its attempts at syncing); quite the battery drain.

I've never used auto sync on an Android device for very long (used to on Blackberry); the system seems to require too much in the way of resources.

GoBruins likes this.
  3. 3cutiger

3cutiger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

once I turned off auto sync, there must be an app that will let you schedule syncs on a predescribed interval (ie once an hour or so) that would keep you reasonably up to date on emails etc without draining the battery continuously. I can't find it though. Anyone?