Questions about flashing kernals & slcd screen.

Last Updated:

1. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Flashing kernals is new to me although general rooting is not. Apparently with my new Inc I have the slcd which will only work with a few kernals. What I had to do to get some new ROMs working was flash the ROM, then flash a specific kernal before booting up. That worked and I was able to flash some ROMs that I was not previously able to use. It has come to my attention that there are some kernals out there that are better for battery life so my questions are:

1) If I want to flash a new kernal over my existing ROM can I just do that? Boot into recovery and flash the new kernal? (After a nandroid of course.) Or do I have to flash the ROM again, then flash the new kernal and then boot up? Do I need to wipe anything before flashing a new kernal?

2) What are the best kernals for battery life that work with the slcd screen?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of anything about compatibility issues with SLCD but then again I haven't been looking. Kings kernels are nice, check those out. Your best bet with battery life is using setCPU imho. I get great battery life with my 1300 stock battery overclock and using multple profiles.

As far as installing kernels, the only thing you really need to do is Wipe your Dalvik Cache in Clockwork under Advanced. Then you can just install it as normal. No need to wipe data, or anything else.

Gink likes this.
  3. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Yeah, some kernels do not like SLCD. It has to do with the difference in screen drivers. Dig through the threads, you should be able to find some stuff about it.

4. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member