Questions about Froyo and root

Last Updated:

1. Bl4z3

Bl4z3 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently debating about rooting my Inc using Unrevoked 3.1. But with froyo coming out I would like to have those features. So could I just wait for 2.2 to come out then root that immediately? Or would that not be possible? I would like to avoid unrooting so what would be the best way to have both 2.2 and root?

Advertisement
  2. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

You can root now and get 2.2 with CM6. If you want full featured, root now and refuse any OTA. When a stable and full featured 2.2 ROM comes out, flash it. I am currently on CM6, and it is not perfect, but good.

-Nkk

3. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

Yes, what Nkk said. When Froyo officially comes out for the Incredible, it won't be able to be rooted RIGHT away. But there are a lot of great developers working on Cyanogenmod 6 which is a Froyo rom for the Incredible. It is not perfect, the camera does not work, but everything else is working. I used it, but couldn't use it as my ROM due to the other small bugs, but once it's working 99.9% I will most likely be using it.

4. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

sooo if your rooted will you get an OTA notifiaction? and if so, If you accept it you lose root and everything? or just root?

5. Bl4z3

Hmm.. Ok. Could I root now and then install 2.2 ota when it pops up? Would that install 2.2, overwrite root and then just have a standard 2.2 phone? Then after they find a way to root 2.2 re-root it? (Hope that made sense lol)

Thanks for all the replies!

6. TheWhiteBandito

You will only get the OTA if you have not changed your ROM. If you just rooted and still running 2.1 with sense as the phone came with, you will receive an OTA notification. It will most likely install over your phone and take away root privileges. An OTA should not make you lose everything even if you are rooted.

See my answer to the question before yours. Once again, the 2.2 OTA hasn't really been announced besides that it would come by the end of 2010, so it's kind of a waiting game right now.

Vaseline Smith likes this.
  7. Bl4z3

I don't plan on changing the rom, so I could just update it to 2.2 and then re-root it later? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to brick the darn thing.

8. TheWhiteBandito

Since there is no official 2.2 OTA right now, root now and don't worry about 2.2. Once 2.2 gets official, I'm sure the developers will make it easy to root 2.2.

Bl4z3 likes this.
  9. Vaseline Smith

I never changed roms but I did try a hydra kernel that I ended up taking off and going back to stock so I should be good then.

10. TheWhiteBandito

Yes, you'll get the OTA once it is pushed.

Vaseline Smith likes this.
  11. Vaseline Smith

Im guessing the kernel is back to stock since it has HTC in it but even still would a non stock kernel prevent me from getting an ota

12. Bl4z3

I just finished rooting! :D Thanks for all your help :)