Questions about my new Xperia X10

Last Updated:

1. Thino

Thino New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I just got my new Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, and Im wondering a few things.

1) Can you download apps from the computer and then transfer them to the phone?
    2) I don't have a Wifi connection and I'm not getting a data plan. Does this basically make this phone lose all of its functions except calling and texting?
    3) How to get wallpapers on my phone?
    4) Is there a program like iTunes to download Music, Videos, Podcasts etc. and sync them to my phone?

Thanks. :)

Advertisement
  2. Thino

Thino New Member This Topic's Starter

Oh, if this is in the wrong section can somebody move it for me? :p

3. FazzY

FazzY New Member

1] Yes. You can download them on computer. They are with .apk extentions. Drag and drop on SD card and use file manager like Astro to run them on the phone

2] Yes. X10 is mainly a social networking phone. Data plan and/or wifi will make the phone much more usable. Else you will probably end up using mostly for Calls/texts/Music. Also there are some apps like CoPilot which you can just download maps for and the phone can do GPS without using data

3] You can download wallpapers spicific to X10 in that format and drag it to SD card. Then you can use left button and change it as wallpaper. Not very sure as I have ADWLauncher as my home screen and can do that easily.

4] I downloaded iSyncr app. It actually just uses iTunes and puts all the songs and playlist on phone using iTunes.

4. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

You might have a hard time downloading the apps that are only available from the market if you're not wifi, unless you find a way to use the connection from your computer and get a bluetooth internet connection when you're next to it (is this even possible?).

You can, however, find torrents with lots of apps, but be aware that some of those apps are actually paid versions and therefore it's piracy... so please supports the developers and don't use those! We need them if Android is to become what we all want it to become!

5. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Well-Known Member

1) Yes, as explained or you can use something like Sideload Wonder Machine.
    2) Not necessarily all it's functions but it does limit it's usefulness
    3) You can copy any picture you like to your SD card and then set it as wallpaper
    4) The program, already included with the phone (SD Card), called MediaGo will work very similar to iTunes and will even import iTunes and WMP playlists.

6. crzyn320

crzyn320 New Member

HI Naples, I have tries MediaGo and it takes forever to move a video to the pnone and the size of the movie is the same as the original. Is there a way to compress it and make the transfer faster.

Crzyn320

7. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Well-Known Member

I only have a couple videos on my phone but the speed of your SD card (class 2,4,6 with 6 being faster) will make a big difference. Also, sometimes it is faster using the card in the adapter and plugging it into your computer SD card reader. This is a bit of a pain with the X10 because you have to remove the battery to remove the SD card. It's probably not worth it.

Have you tried copying the video directly to see if it's any faster?