Questions about root and free wifi hotspot

Last Updated:

1. trak

trak New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, what I want to do is set up my HTC Incredible (currently running official HTC Sense/Froyo) as a wifi hotspot (not paying verizon $20 for 2GB/month, and not usb tethering.. need wifi).

Unfortunately, even though stock Froyo 2.2 supports free wifi hotspot, the official (un-rooted) froyo for the incredible forces you to pay $20/month to verizon to use as a wifi hotspot.

I'm assuming this is correct, but I just wanted to make sure: If I root my phone, then I will be able to install a rom and use it's built-in free wifi hotspot capabilities using my data connection, right?

Also, is there a rom that has HTC Sense, as well as free wifi hotspot capability? I would like to keep using HTC Sense over "stock" Froyo, and still be able to use free wifi hotspot capability if possible.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member

Rooting your phone does nothing the OS. It merely allows you access to parts of the phone that were administratively not available. You will still be using the HTC Sense and regular ole FroYo.

What you CAN do however is download a WiFi tether app that only works on rooted phones. Voila. You are now running Sense AND you can do what you want WRT WiFi hotspotting.

3. pdykstra

pdykstra Well-Known Member

Yes, it's called Wireless Tether in the market.

sbstnwright likes this.
  4. wagga321

wagga321 Member

ive got a GT540 and i upgraded to 2.2 my dad pays for the bill and it has got the wifi hotspot but is it free of charge (data connection) when i turn it on and is free if i use the hot spot on another device

5. sbstnwright

sbstnwright Member

I just downloaded the wireless tether made by Muller. I will try it tonight.

Is there a wireless tether app that works better than others for the Incredible? It seems some phones do not run some apps well. *edit: terrible sentence.* Hope it still makes sense.

I'm running rooted 'stock' phone. Rooted with unrevoked, removed the bloat. I would like a 'reliable' hotspot to work free too, but without the hardcore network hack that is listed in the forum.

Also to confirm... I won't get a bill for the data used with the hotspot?

6. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Wireless tether works fine. The built in app works fine too for unrooted with the native tether hack done.