Questions about "Rooting" and Firmware upgrade (2.1)?

Last Updated:

1. rasmuskarlsen

rasmuskarlsen Member This Topic's Starter

Hey i have an HTC Magic with 1.5 firmware and HTC sense..

But i wanna to update it to the latest 2.1 firmware.. So i have read that it should be rooted first, and after that i should install custom 2.1 firmware.

But i'm unsure about the following:

- If i update it to 2.1 Is the "Look" then the same as the HTC legend?
    - Is HTC Sense also included in the 2.1 firmware updates?
    - Is everything working / and are stable in the 2.1 custom firmware? Or is it beta, and it's possible for the phone to crash or to become unstable?
    - What firmware is recomended, if i wanna stick with "HTC Standard" firmware look (So it looks like the HTC legend, HTC Desire - etc etc)
    - What about the language of the phone, is "Custom" 2.1 firmwares forced to English? Or can i choose my native language? (Danish)

Is there any disadvantages swithching to the "custom 2.1" firmware instead of running on the "Supplied" v. 1.5?

If iupgrade, is it then possible to revert back to my current "state" = No rooting + stock Firmware 1.5?

Advertisement
  2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

Howdy from Canada, wish I was in Denmark myself. :D
    You might want to check the Magic devel forum at XD: myTouch 3G, Magic Android Development - xda-developers

The "Sense" you are looking for is an HTC addon and not a standard part of the android OS. Some ROMs include it and some don't. Right now I can't say that any of the 2.1 roms are perfect or even suitable for daily use but it depends on your usage patterns and expectations. We expect the official 2.1 for Magic next month and soon after the better versions from developers.

You haven't said if your 1.5 is the provider's customized version or directly from HTC. There is a lot to learn before deciding which rom is suitable. I ran an Eris based rom for a while but it too suffered some issues so if you need the phone to be very stable and fast you might stay with 1.5 for a while more, I can suggest Cursorsense which is a 1.5 Sense rom but much better than the provider's version we get over here. If you can live without Sense then there are some very nice 1.6 roms and even a good 2.1.

Actually, the current method of rooting our phones over here is via a Euro based 2.1 rom and that has a good language set. I didn't use it long enough to say how complete the Danish was. check out the xd forums, lots of euro developers over there.

3. rasmuskarlsen

Hehe, ya great country ;) hehe.

I deffently are looking for a rom version with sense.. Because i like that a lot..

Currently my 1.5 is the stock 1.5 version from HTC (Updated from some earlier version about a month ago)...

Is HTC officially releasing 2.1 for Magic next month? Since you wrote " We expect the official 2.1 for Magic next month and soon after the better versions from developers"

I'm not quite sure what you mean with "Actually, the current method of rooting our phones over here is via a Euro based 2.1 rom and that has a good language set. I didn't use it long enough to say how complete the Danish was. check out the xd forums, lots of euro developers over there. "

Rooting doesn't have anything to do with my language, since it doesn't have anything to to with the ROM? :confused:

4. vikingisson

I love what 'ya'll' have done with the wind and how the rules are setup such that anyone can get in the game. We're much too corrupt here for that kind of common sense. :mad: The only I'd miss would be mountains.

Rooting is what we need to be able to flash a different rom, nothing to do with the rom itself or language etc. If you use the RUU method of updating then rooting isn't required. As of now I don't think there is an HTC provided 2.1 for our phones yet. That is why there are a number of developer versions out there and why rooting is needed.

You might be happy with the leaked 2.1 rom that we have been using as a way to get root and then load something else. You might simply use that rom since it is already euro centric.
    I see you are asking over at xd, that might get you the answer. good luck.

5. rasmuskarlsen

Aah, you have pulled me into the direction of understanding "This new android world" But there are still a lot of unanswered questions i think.. I think that there is way to many methods, files, and mods out there, to be sure what to pick and what not to pick :/

Ya have tried creating the question over at xda also.. Might get some other answers there, and then i'm proberly more confused than when i started ;)

6. vikingisson

It is indeed a jungle out there. It took me a while to get my bearings but take your time because certain things are risky but mostly just confusing. That is the flip side to having the freedoms we usually enjoy with android. Much easier with the closed systems but if it doesn't allow what you want then easy isn't good. But then suddenly it makes sense and is worth the initial frustration.
    uh oh, that sneaky ash cloud is on the move again. hope you aren't traveling soon. But I do miss that glacier and the volcano. :cool: