• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about rooting. (NOT how to do it)

Sirithe

Nov 30, 2009
Hey all, I'm new to Android, and just smart phones in particular. I've had my Hero for about 3 months and its a great phone, but it just tends to get bogged down sometimes, and from everything I've read on these forums about rooting they say it will help. I'm kind of interested in rooting my phone, but I don't want to do it before I know what I'm in for when I root it. Basically I don't even know what rooting is. What is it? What will it do to my phone? Can I undo it if I decide I don't like it? Will I be able to get the 2.1 when it is released or will I have to install it on my own?

Rooting just gives you access to your phone's properties (basically). It lets you do backups, and install/uninstall apps that aren't able to be uninstalled through normal means (Sprint apps). It also allows you to flash custom ROM's that are better optimized for the phone, less buggy (sometimes), and more customizable.

It is easily undone by flashing a stock image (very easy).

When 2.1 is released, you can either flash back to stock and get the update, or wait a few hours for the devs to make some changes, and load a custom ROM with 2.1 already on it.

Upvote 0
Hey all, I'm new to Android, and just smart phones in particular. I've had my Hero for about 3 months and its a great phone, but it just tends to get bogged down sometimes, and from everything I've read on these forums about rooting they say it will help. I'm kind of interested in rooting my phone, but I don't want to do it before I know what I'm in for when I root it. Basically I don't even know what rooting is. What is it? What will it do to my phone? Can I undo it if I decide I don't like it? Will I be able to get the 2.1 when it is released or will I have to install it on my own?

all your questions ahve been answered here on the forums just keep reading and then read some more then read a lil more its all here

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones