• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about rooting the Droid

I know this has probably been posted a million times but I've been looking around and haven't found an answer to a lot of them.

EDIT: Deleted some of the questions I figured out on my own.

1) I don't have the warranty on my phone, so do I really lose anything by rooting if I don't have a warranty to break?

2) Will the SholesMod Updater be taken out of the marketplace since Google seems to be so against rooting?

3) Is there a website where I can get all these custom themes, WiFi tether, custom keyboards and everything that everyone is talking about after I root the phone

4) Is it possible that some apps might not work with a rooted phone because you're change the operating system?

5) When will SholesMod Updater be free? I don't have a credit card and it said a day or two but that was... two days ago haha.

Scroll down ...

1) I don't have the warranty on my phone, so do I really lose anything by rooting if I don't have a warranty to break? - You have a one-year manufacturer's warranty. If they find that you've rooted, it most likely voids the warranty. I happen to think they won't check. Others would argue.

2) Will the SholesMod Updater be taken out of the marketplace since Google seems to be so against rooting? - IMO, Google isn't against rooting, Verizon is. There a LOTs of apps for us rooted folks that have been on the Market for a long time.

3) Is there a website where I can get all these custom themes, WiFi tether, custom keyboards and everything that everyone is talking about after I root the phone - Checkout Alldroid.org. Tons of stuff there.

4) Is it possible that some apps might not work with a rooted phone because you're change the operating system? - You don't change the operating system, you simply have access to it. I think you have some more reading to do.

5) When will SholesMod Updater be free? I don't have a credit card and it said a day or two but that was... two days ago haha. - If you want it, you'll find a way to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I know this has probably been posted a million times but I've been looking around and haven't found an answer to a lot of them.

EDIT: Deleted some of the questions I figured out on my own.

1) I don't have the warranty on my phone, so do I really lose anything by rooting if I don't have a warranty to break? Even with a warranty you can always go fully back to stock before have any work done to your phone

2) Will the SholesMod Updater be taken out of the marketplace since Google seems to be so against rooting? Google built the WIFI tether program and staited it was for root users, so they are totally for rooting.

3) Is there a website where I can get all these custom themes, WiFi tether, custom keyboards and everything that everyone is talking about after I root the phone Alldroid has everything you need

4) Is it possible that some apps might not work with a rooted phone because you're change the operating system?

5) When will SholesMod Updater be free? I don't have a credit card and it said a day or two but that was... two days ago haha. Just install the ROM for free bydownloading it yourself off there site or alldroid. you only pay for the easy convenient auto updater, but if money is an issue or you just don't want to pay, do a little of the work yourself and install it for free
just my thoughts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones