Questions about rooting

Last Updated:

1. Derek1267

Derek1267 Member This Topic's Starter

I've been on the fence about rooting my droid, and looking through these tutorials it looks simple enough.

My questions are this;
    1. What are Kernels and do I need them exactly
    2. Do I need a specific ROM to overclock or will just a plain rooted phone work
    3. Do I need a nandroid backup?

Thank you for anyone that can help me out :)

Advertisement
  2. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

1. A kernel lets you overclock your phone, not needed as every ROM has one built in. But if you want to overclock you can switch out the kernel with a different one.
    2. You can overclock any ROM by switching the kernel
    3. A nandroid is like a picture of your phone, it will let your restore your phone incase something does not play well. Yes a nandroid is need 100%, over time you will make lots of these.

3. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

I would like to add to this post.

As the post above says, kernels are used to overclock. However, one key point that you must remember is that they do not do the overclocking themselves. You need to download the app SetCPU in order to use the kernels to the full potential. Also, kernels are used to enable wifi tethering, etc.

You can use any plain ROM or even a specialized one. First you will flash whatever ROM you want, or you can keep your stock one. Then you flash the kernel, and use SetCPU to edit it. \

Nandroid backups are optional. I find doing them is a waste of my time (OMG!!) because ROMs get outdated fast. If I mess up in any way, I just tend to reflash. I would only recommend them if you plan to do some metamorph editing, or things which you might corrupt your phone but you want to keep your data/settings, etc.

4. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

And I would like to add to this part of your post.

Yes, nandriods are optional but if you load a new kernel and you end up in a boot loop you can just restore your nandroid and try again instead of reflashing and seting everything back up (huge time saver).

I only make nandroids when I'm changing things like kernels or getting ready to flash a new ROM.

Think of a nandroid as insurance, you might not ever need it but it's nice to know you have it.

5. Derek1267

Derek1267 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you everyone, I'm still doing a bit more research before I take the plunge, thanks again :D

6. DrDiff

DrDiff Well-Known Member

Take the Plunge!!! It is not as bad as you might fear!

7. Diver88

Diver88 Active Member

its really not that bad. i was nervous about it at first, didnt want to mess up my precious droid. but i found a nex themed froyo ROM by fabolous that i Needed. lol. its been worth it and my phone loves P3Droids froyo kernels. now i wish i would have rooted sooner.

8. goldz28

goldz28 Well-Known Member

If I can do it anyone can. I did the Froyo 2.2 but barnicle would not work with it so I went back to Rooter 2.1. Runs great.