• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about ROOTING...

Biggest Fro

Jan 20, 2010
Hi, I have been strolling around these forums for around a week now, gathering all the info I can.

I would like to Root my Hero, but would like to get a few questions answered beforehand.

1, Does Rooting void any warranty I may have? (Not even sure if I have one)
2, If I Root, and have a problem with my service from Sprint and take my phone into the Sprint store to get fixed, would they deny fixing my phone because it has been rooted?
3, I have heard to back-up all the files all the time etc. When you back it up, does it store EVERY file from the OS in the back-up? (Reason I am asking is say I wanted to go back to a non-rooted device after the root, is it possible?)
4, True or False, I will have to re-install all my apps and redo all my Contacts?
5, What is the best method for rooting? Or is one just as good as the other. I am decent with computers(Windows), but have never messed with Lunix.
6, When the new version 2.x or whatever it's going to be FINALLY comes out, will I have to re-Root, or will I just have to install a new ROM? And would my phone still work after the update and before I installed a new ROM.

I will probably think of more Q's in the future, just wanting to gather as much info as possible before I do the Root.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

Hi, I have been strolling around these forums for around a week now, gathering all the info I can.

I would like to Root my Hero, but would like to get a few questions answered beforehand.

1, Does Rooting void any warranty I may have? (Not even sure if I have one)
2, If I Root, and have a problem with my service from Sprint and take my phone into the Sprint store to get fixed, would they deny fixing my phone because it has been rooted?
3, I have heard to back-up all the files all the time etc. When you back it up, does it store EVERY file from the OS in the back-up? (Reason I am asking is say I wanted to go back to a non-rooted device after the root, is it possible?)
4, True or False, I will have to re-install all my apps and redo all my Contacts?
5, What is the best method for rooting? Or is one just as good as the other. I am decent with computers(Windows), but have never messed with Lunix.
6, When the new version 2.x or whatever it's going to be FINALLY comes out, will I have to re-Root, or will I just have to install a new ROM? And would my phone still work after the update and before I installed a new ROM.

I will probably think of more Q's in the future, just wanting to gather as much info as possible before I do the Root.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

1. yes.

2. possibly

3. to go back to stock just run the RUU and it'll be just like it came out of the box.

4. False.

5. they get you to the same end result. pick teh one that seems best for you.

6. once rooted you will no longer be able to get OTA updates. if you are using a custom ROM the devs will have a new ROM out with the updates within hours/days of the release

Upvote 0
Can we make a sticky with FAQ about how to root,unroot,dance, and the side effects because this forum is getting cluttered with the same question, the first three pages are with help help fresh this and ahh im bricked. I think this will help clean this up because my eyes hurt with looking for news about our phones not answering the same question a million times. My other idea was making a big i mean big SEARCH BUTTON for people to use to wait for it find the ANSWERS. Come on people please oh and welcome to phandroid where we specialize in awkward moments.

Upvote 0
Can we make a sticky with FAQ about how to root,unroot,dance, and the side effects because this forum is getting cluttered with the same question, the first three pages are with help help fresh this and ahh im bricked. I think this will help clean this up because my eyes hurt with looking for news about our phones not answering the same question a million times. My other idea was making a big i mean big SEARCH BUTTON for people to use to wait for it find the ANSWERS. Come on people please oh and welcome to phandroid where we specialize in awkward moments.

PLEASE DO THIS! lol

Upvote 0
there's already a big sticky about rooting the phone.. doesn't stop the questions from being asked.. so instead of getting worked up by it.. just answer the questions... once they have rooted then they'll be the ones answering the next round of root questions for new the guys/girls... telling them to search is pointless.. there's so many posts about everything and if the words they are searching for are in any of them it'll show as a hit...

as they say in the home brew beer community...
RDWHAHB Relax.. Don't Worry... Have a Home Brew..

Upvote 0
can we make a sticky with faq about how to root,unroot,dance, and the side effects because this forum is getting cluttered with the same question, the first three pages are with help help fresh this and ahh im bricked. I think this will help clean this up because my eyes hurt with looking for news about our phones not answering the same question a million times. My other idea was making a big i mean big search button for people to use to wait for it find the answers. Come on people please oh and welcome to phandroid where we specialize in awkward moments.
+1000

Upvote 0
there's already a big sticky about rooting the phone.. doesn't stop the questions from being asked.. so instead of getting worked up by it.. just answer the questions... once they have rooted then they'll be the ones answering the next round of root questions for new the guys/girls... telling them to search is pointless.. there's so many posts about everything and if the words they are searching for are in any of them it'll show as a hit...

If there was a step by step guide we could just give them the link and wouldn't ahve to type so much. I know you can find all the info with out asking to many questions, but if there was step by step on how to root with pre-kitchen it would save a lot of headaches.

Upvote 0

Your right and i am sorry i will answer your question USE THE SEARCH. ok now that you got the answer use it cus your thread reads "questions about rooting" Write the word root question in the search and see how many people posted the same thing. Again welcome to the community and please come again alet us know how your doing. Also to the person somewhere above i agree we need a place with links to how to do it and where you can get your roms. One more thing :p

Upvote 0
Your right and i am sorry i will answer your question USE THE SEARCH. ok now that you got the answer use it cus your thread reads "questions about rooting" Write the word root question in the search and see how many people posted the same thing. Again welcome to the community and please come again alet us know how your doing. Also to the person somewhere above i agree we need a place with links to how to do it and where you can get your roms. One more thing :p

When you search that, it gives you every thread containing those words.

I am not new to online forums, and I know what a Search Button is.

Oh, and go ahead and use your amazing search bar and show me people who have asked the exact same questions I asked?

Personally, I think there should be an entire section on Rooting, with the section divided into each device.

But hey, what do I know, this is only my 4th post.

Upvote 0

Done...

Here:
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

Upvote 0

wasn't me that asked the question.... have you tried doing a search for rooting? you get a hit for every single thread on here that mentions the word.. luckily, others have taken the time recently to put a step by step guide together for rooting.. there will still be a ton of posts asking how to root.. at least we can point them to that guide now.... which is still better and more productive than telling them to use the search button...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you did everything correctly, there will not be a root folder on your SD Card. The "root" folder is the top level folder of your device, the main folder, the one in which all other folders are contained, etc.

As for your other question about backing up, I will refer you to this guide and ask that you read it and pay attention to the part about nandroid backup.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones