Questions about Rooting

Last Updated: 2013-04-12 16:01:42
  1. MrFandroid

MrFandroid Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.7.0 GT-P3100. I would like to root it without losing my apps and stuff. I looked at many tutorials online but none of them say how to backup stuff or how to root without losing everything.

Another thing that confuses me is the roms. Do I really need to install a custom rom or can I stick to the stock one?

Sorry about posting in the wrong place, move it to all things root please.

Advertisement
  2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

You can stick with the custom ROM after you root. You do not have to install a custom ROM.
    I'm not familiar with the rooting process for you device but when I rooted my Galaxy S3 and my Incredible 2 I did not lose my apps. Only if I installed a custom ROM did I lose apps but they were easy enough to reinstall.

Let me ask this. What do you hope to do once you root your device?
    MrFandroid and LilBit like this.
  3. MrFandroid

MrFandroid Member

Lots of things, using tor to bypass YouTube ban (banned here), tethering, emulating games, lots more stuff I can't think of right now.
    LilBit likes this.
  4. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

Hi MrFandroid, I just wanted to add my agreement with valorian, you can stick with the stock rom after root, You wont lose anything, you will however gain the ability to remove bloatware from the tab and you will have a custom recovery installed. You can then flash roms, kernels, themes, whatever the dev's for your tab have made for it.

And you can make backups of the tab quite easily with the custom recovery.

The closest thing to your tab we have is this forum. Currently we do not have a specific forum for your device yet.
    http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab-7-0-plus-all-things-root/

Root also gives you acess to apps from the play store for root users only.
    MrFandroid likes this.
  5. MrFandroid

MrFandroid Member

6. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

I personally cant say for sure, I would post in his thread or contact him and ask, i will tell you this. Rooting a device should only be attempted after you completely understand the process involved. Read, read, read, make sure you understand the procedure.:)

You dont want your tab bricked:( Just make sure its the right root method, and that you understand how to do it properly. :)
  7. MrFandroid

MrFandroid Member

Can anyone confirm this, I'm too lazy to register and ask the author.
    :p
  8. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Well-Known Member