Questions about Sling Box

Last Updated:

1. japus

japus Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking into getting a sling box. I really don't know much about this and looking for a few answers. First, what I know, you hook the sling box up to a router for internet access and the sling box needs to be connected to a cable source, this is where my questions start. (see I told you I didn't know much about it) I am looking at getting the sling box hd pro, the website says it has a built in tuner, does this mean I can hook the coax cable from the wall straight to the sling box and it will work just fine? Also, if the sling box is hooked up to a digital cable box and not the coax will the sling box control the tv hooked up to the cable box? If anyone with a sling box could please help it would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

Yeah, a TV tuner just takes your coax and you're done. If its connected to a cable box, then the box can only see what the cable box is showing, so if you have an RF repeater from the slingbox you can change the channels on the cable box, but if the TV and the sling box share the same cable box, then yes they will show the same thing

japus likes this.
  3. japus

Thanks that is what I thought just wanted to be sure.

4. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

But their awesome. I had the app for my iPhone, which was jailbroken so I could stream slingbox over 3G, I havent checked for an android app... proably should

5. powrful1

powrful1 Well-Known Member

No android app yet....supposedly coming after 2.2 and flash 10.1 for android dropping.

6. japus

I have been hearing that a sling app may be out this summer, some talk even days has early as June, but you know how these kinda things go. Probably won't be out for another year.

7. jeffvette13

jeffvette13 New Member

You can split the cable and have a cable box input and a regular cable input for the pro hd. It works great if you watch your locals use the regular input and it won't change the channel on the tv.

8. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I love love love my slingbox (I only have a solo). There should be an app pretty soon. A few weeks ago it was leaked that a closed beta had started, but due to the leak, they closed it even tighter...I can't WAIT for this!

I should add, I have a dedicated box just for my Slingbox, so I don't change channels on anyone...