• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about stable roms

happyturkey

Jun 17, 2010
First, I apologize in advance if these are dumb questions, but I am very new to this and very worried about making mistakes, so I appreciate your patience and help.

I was hoping to get advice on flashing Sense-based roms that will be reliable for everyday use in which everything works. I

Yes, I have been using Clockwork mod. So in the xda thread someone does say "i was also getting bootloops with the odex versions, with clockwork. but not with RA1.6.2"

So, if I want to try Amon, is it something I download from the Market?

If you have ROM manager installed you can just go to the bottom and select Flash Alternative Recovery. That should let you flash Amon RA Recovery version 1.6.2.

You should not have an issue with flashing Liquid 2.1 with ClockworkMod Recovery, by the way. I have done it and never had a problem at all.

Upvote 0
I have another question:
I've decided to now branch out of my comfort zone and try the AOSP 0.9.9.2 rom. I would also like to use this blue theme. So my question is, can I flash the rom, gapps, and that theme all at once (i.e. flash all three one at a time before leaving recovery), or should I just do the rom and gapps first and make sure all is well before trying the theme?

Upvote 0
I have another question:
I've decided to now branch out of my comfort zone and try the AOSP 0.9.9.2 rom. I would also like to use this blue theme. So my question is, can I flash the rom, gapps, and that theme all at once (i.e. flash all three one at a time before leaving recovery), or should I just do the rom and gapps first and make sure all is well before trying the theme?

I have never used a theme but I am pretty sure you can flash everything at once while you are in recovery. I would flash the ROM, then the GApps, and then the theme last.

Just make sure you make a Nandroid backup before attempting any of this. I have heard stories of people having issues with restoring Nandroids that have a ROM with a theme flashed on it.

Reactions: happyturkey
Upvote 0
Ok, another question:

I tried to flash all three, but got stuck at the boot screen for the theme. So, I went back to recovery, did a full wipe (wiped data/factory reset, cache and Dalvik cache and formated system, boot, cache and data), then just flashed the ROM and gapps -- and it loaded just fine (so that was a relief).

So the question: should I now try flashing the theme again? Or is there something else I should do?

(The theme I downloaded was from this link here, the "Download RLS3" link).

Upvote 0
Ok, another question:

I tried to flash all three, but got stuck at the boot screen for the theme. So, I went back to recovery, did a full wipe (wiped data/factory reset, cache and Dalvik cache and formated system, boot, cache and data), then just flashed the ROM and gapps -- and it loaded just fine (so that was a relief).

So the question: should I now try flashing the theme again? Or is there something else I should do?

(The theme I downloaded was from this link here, the "Download RLS3" link).

Hmm. The link says its for CyanogenMod 6.1, so I am not sure if it is compatible with AOSP Android 2.2.

That might be why you are having issues with it. I would scan through that thread and see if there are any mentions of it working on AOSP based ROMs.

Upvote 0
Well, I did read about people flashing it over aosp in the thread, like here in post #18:

"Flashed this over new 9.2 aosp and works fine so far fyi"

and here in #136
"9.8 and up should work i know 9.9.1 and 9.9.2 will def work"

So that's why I thought it would work... is there something else I should be looking for?

That is good to know. Like I said above, I never have used themes on the ROMs I have flashed.

Maybe someone who is more experienced with flashing a theme would be able to comment. I do not want to lead you in the wrong direction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones